perfect family

YUKI
3 years ago

People always told me that I was lucky. But growing up in foster care didn't seem lucky to me. Being unwanted, being tossed around like trash wasn't lucky at all. But no one wanted a Quirkless kid with behavioral issues.

"Be grateful."
"You should be so lucky that these people will take you."
"So many kids wish they were in your position."

That's what those old bitches in my group home told me before passing me on to a new family every other weekend. It wasn't until I was six did the phones stop ringing and the families stopped showing.

I was prepared to spend the rest of my life without parents; without love.

That was until a couple of kids who were more fucked up than I was showed up at our doorstep. Said they saw me kick some little boy's ass at the park for making Midoriya cry. Guess they just wanted someone with enough balls to do their liquor runs.

The women at the home didn't miss the opportunity to get rid of me. I was glad.

I didn't hesitate to call them Mom and Dad. And they didn't care that I did.

But Mom was bipolar.
Dad always had a bottle in his hand.

But no matter how cruel they were, they were the only ones to love me. And I loved them enough to call them my parents. My real parents.

But I suppose the news of my death drank away their memory of me. They'd forgotten that they had a daughter.

So when I went to visit them after being on ice for two years, Mommy didn't recognize the scars that stitched her daughter's face back together. And seeing my Quirk pushed Daddy over the edge. He rushed me out of the house with broken glass beer bottles, swearing that he'd kill me with his bare hands if I ever tried lying again.

"I have no daughter!" He screamed with spit falling from his swollen lips. "Don't fucking come back!"

It wasn't the first time they told me they didn't have a daughter. But even at the gullible age of six, I understood that alcohol makes people say things that should never be said out loud. It was an alcoholic's way of manipulating people so they could apologize without ever changing. The worst of it was that I believed they could. I always forgave them.

So even after being thrown out and tossed to the curb for the billionth time, I still came around.

Hoping.
Wishing, that someday they'd remember me. That they'd apologize to me for the thousandth time. Why? So we could be the perfect family.

But the tiny voices were convincing enough to touch her skin.
And the bottle carved his grave and shoveled the dirt.

It was the first time I refused to forgive them.

YUKI
present

"You're quiet today."

Squished in between plush couch cushions, I didn't make an effort to move. Peeling the toothpick from between my lips, I slowly blinked the dryness from my eyes. The memory of my parents played in my mind, lingering for only seconds longer until the voice came again.

"Please, ignore me," her scoffing mixed with the sound of a knife chopping a pepper into bits. Though her British accent was hard to ignore, I continued to, knowing that if I told her what was on my mind she'd probably yell at me for 'thinking too much.'

"3...2..." As the countdown started, I instinctively inhaled, puffing out my cheeks and holding my breath in my chest. A triumphant laugh intercepted the last number.