PART 9

{Song: "E.T." by Katie Perry}

"Mr. Spock, do you have a moment?"

"Yes, Captain, what is it?"

The majority of the visitors on board for the Babel conferences had retired to their quarters and the decks were relatively quiet. Jim kept his hands relaxed and at his sides, not wanting to add to Spock's tension.

"Walk with me, please."

Spock fell into step with him. "You are well?" he asked quietly.

Jim smiled at the ground as they meandered through the empty halls. "Yes, Spock, I'm alright. We haven't had much time to talk lately, have we?"

"We have not."

A few seconds of silence passed.

"I just wanted..." Jim began awkwardly. "I wanted to ask you something. You never told me your parents were the Vulcan ambassador and his wife before they came aboard today. Now, your privacy is your right, it's okay. But clearly there's a lot of tension between you three."

Spock's face remained placid. "Do you perceive any faltering in the performance of my duties at present, Captain?"

"No, Spock," Jim sighed, turning on him. "That's not why I'm bringing this up." His voice softened as he eyed his companion. "I know you have to hide it. I get it. It does explain why you've been so quiet and avoidant lately, though." He drank Spock in with his deep amber eyes. "I'm just... checking in on you, I'm asking you if I can help in any way."

Spock stared ahead, eyes tired. "It is a family matter," he replied weakly. "Did you speak with my mother?"

Jim nodded. "Yes. I didn't tell her a thing about us yet, though. Besides the fact that we're friends. She explained to me what's happened between you and your father. I'm... I'm sorry. I know your parents are very important to you. It grieves me to see your father disappointed in the man I cherish so much."

Spock looked away. "I have accepted my father's choices. However, I cannot agree with his opinions now, just as I could not honor or agree with them when I made my decision to join Starfleet. And so we cannot be reconciled."

"But so many years have passed. Perhaps I could spend some time with him, try to understand his perspective of Starfleet and maybe help guide him in having a better opinion of us, and then—"

"And then?"

"Then maybe he could reconcile with you. For both your sakes! And for your mother's. It's pretty obvious that's the very thing she wants."

Spock didn't properly conceal the minuscule tremor of his chin.

"Captain. My father chooses to engage in relations with Starfleet Command on a regular basis. He attends their conferences and treats Federation officers with respect, even offers commendations to other Vulcans in the service. He uses his harsh judgment of Starfleet weapons to conceal his more personal distaste: his distaste for me. If seeing the public records of my exemplary performance, coupled with the pleas of my mother for reconciliation, could not change his mind towards me, then I am afraid there is nothing you could do."

"Spock..."

"Captain." Spock stopped in his tracks and turned somber eyes to Jim, looking just past him rather than directly at him. "I am grateful for your consideration. But you will hardly find a Vulcan more resolute than Sarek."

Jim paused, taking in all the fine lines and emotions resting between them in the face of his lover. "Okay," he finally sighed. "Alright, Spock." He patted the man's shoulder lovingly, then continued walking side by side with him through the corridor and past the botany lab.