C H A P T E R 1

I heard loud chugging noises emitting from the other room, then loud crying

I heard loud chugging noises emitting from the other room, then loud crying. I felt my stomach drop with anxiety, and I got up from my bedroom floor, to lock the door for the night. 

I looked out my bedroom window, and watched the cars go by, like I did every night. Occasionally I would see people walk by the apartment complex we resided in. I couldn't help but wonder what they wanted, did they hurt people too? Or were they nice people? Like in my storybooks?

I would often sit in my room and imagine myself in my own make believe world, where I was a fierce warrior, decked out in the coolest armor, sword and shield in hand, cape flowing in the wind as I nobly protected the world around me. Like superheroes would do. 

I wanted to be a superhero in real life too! I would draw myself all the time, and tape it to the old cracked walls of my bedroom. But I wasn't sure how to accomplish that from my small bedroom window. How would I get superpowers? And a sword? Or a cape? Those have to be extremely expensive.

I laid back down on the shag carpet once more, I had a bed yes, but on the floor I felt safer. I stared at the popcorn ceiling above, trying to ignore the sobs from the other room. I began following every little crack in the ceiling like I usually did, it was my bedtime routine and all. I slowly began to go drowsy, and eventually fell into the dark abyss known as sleep.

I didn't really dream about much that night, I usually don't dream at all if I'm being quite frank. The closest I usually ever get to a dream is where im wandering around in the dark, following a light, that doesn't seem to be going anywhere in particular, it confused me.

I woke up that morning, blinded by the sun emitted from my bedroom window, the apartment was silent, what did this mean? Was she still here or had she left? I felt the anxiety creeping up my spine, it either meant she was out with one of her guy friends, or she was passed out on the floor, lying face first in her own breakfast.

I rubbed my eyes, and got up from the floor, and unlocked the door. My muscles tensing as the door slowly creaked open. I peeked through the crack, and as I expected, my mother was lying face first on the table, her drink in her hand, wiped out entirely. 

I hated waking up in the morning, especially when I woke up to this. It made me feel scared and upset, especially with how similar I am to my mother looks wise. Her brown fur was disheveled, and matted. Due to the lack of any self care whatsoever. My mother always told me that it was my fault that she is like this, that I made my father go away, which ruined her. I'm not supposed to be here, and I'm not sure why I'm here. 

I slowly crept out of my room, keeping as quiet as possible, I didn't want my mother to see or hear me. She always gets really angry when she woke up from the bad drink. Especially when someone wakes her up accidentally. Not something I'd neccesarily like to deal with, especially so early in the morning.

I tiptoed into the kitchen, and looked inside the cupboard. There was nothing but a loaf of bread, and a half a bag of Salmon Puffs. I glanced back at my mother, if I ate one or the other, would she be mad at me? I thought, watching her, still fast asleep on the table, muttering nonsense to herself. Surely just a small bowl wouldnt hurt, she wouldn't notice, I hope.