More than Meets the Eye (Part 2)

"I heard from Jae-in that it's unusual for you to go home at this hour, unnie. I remember him mentioning that it's either really early in the morning or close to midnight that you two practically never bump into each other. Did your schedule change?" Yujin's voice asked the moment that she and Yoon Jae-in's step-sister Irene exited the small staircase and soon treaded towards the path leading up to the apartment. Both of the two ladies held bags of food that were clearly for more than just two.

"It does feel weird going home at this time of the day. I forgot how annoying the sun felt especially when I forgot my sunglasses. Yeah, the unusual schedule was because of a shift I had to take as well as an unexpected shoot from my side-line. I'm sorry if I called you on such a short notice—I just wondered if you wanted to eat lunch with Jae-in as it has been a long time since we've been together and grabbed something to eat."

"No unnie, I actually like that you've invited me over like this. I just finished a lengthy report due next week and this is a good time to spend that free real estate on my schedule. I feel like I deserve it too. Is Jae-in at your apartment right now, unnie?"

"He should be, unless he went off to somewhere I'm not aware of again. It would not be the first time. You know how your best friend thinks. I haven't heard of him since last night and Mr Kwon from below was not sure if he saw Jae-in pass-by earlier. That pabo... he might be doing something that I don't know if. Yujin, could you tell your bestfriend off for me? Just because he got a good state in his midterm grades, I'm worried that he's starting to get cocky."

"I don't know about that, unnie. He seems to be holding up just fine, I think. He's probably still revelling on the ghost of his last encounter with the Mina girl, and maybe compensating on it by going out and being happy."

"If that's the case, then I hope he knows what he is doing. Oh, we're here."

Irene gesture for Yujin towards the door just as she was about to unlock it with her card; however, as Irene made her way to slide it in, the line already glowed green with the contact signalling that it was never locked in the first place.

"Huh...? That's weird. It's not locked. I remember locking this when I left yesterday."

"Maybe it's Jae-in, unnie. He might have gotten here already and forgot to lock your door."

"Aish, that idiot always does that. It's a good thing that he only forgets to lock it when he is IN the apartment, and not when he's leaving. Come, Yujinnah. Let's get inside so we can prepare the food—"

The moment that Irene and Yujin went in on the first couple of steps of the home, the former was already aware that something was significantly different with the vibe of the place she has been on. The first thing she noticed was the placing of the shoes on the small doorstep. Irene always knew Jae-in would place his shoes on the rack, but even if it was a mistake, the presence of another shoe that clearly was not her brother's intrigued Irene more than anything.

"What's this doing here?"

"Ah Jae-in, stop it! You're tickling me!"

And that was when she began hearing faint slapping noises that seemed to originate from couch, along with a female voice that never did Irene heard of ever. Startled, she immediately went off to check the commotion that was going on thinking there was another person that invaded her personal space with Jae-in. However, just before she could launch herself, Irene was quickly stopped by Yujin's touch on her forearm. The younger woman placed her index finger on her mouth and then went to point at her ear, implying that they should listen first.

SLAP

"Ouch, hey...! We didn't talk about slapping each other now did we? Come on, I just need to see it so stop moving! I need to be sure!"