three

Call me paranoid but how can I possibly stay sane when I just met God knows what. And yes, I am freaking out. That man or whatever that thing was knew my name and not only that he knew about my mother too which I haven’t even told to anyone.

It is driving me crazy even to think that he might have done something to my mom so I press the accelerator to reach at the hospital as fast as I can. I need to make sure nothing has happened to her; she is the only person left in my life now and I freaking can’t afford to lose her.

I don’t waste any time and rush towards my mother’s room after parking my car in the parking lot of the hospital. I already know the room number so I don’t have to ask the receptionist and make my way straight to her room. I am running fast as if I am being chased by some serial killer but what has me scared is that a nurse and a doctor was running ahead of me. And from a distance I can even hear the heartbeat machine going off.

It can’t be my mom’s room.

It is my mom’s room. The heartbeat machine is going off in my mother’s room. I try to step inside to see my mom but the nurse stops me and slams the door close right at my face. I am feeling so helpless. My legs are shaking and trembling and I am sure that if I haven’t been holding to the handle of the door, my legs would have given out.

“No, Mom. Hang in there, you will be okay.” A tear slips down my eyes. I am so desperately trying to convince myself right now that nothing will go south and mum will be just fine but as I am looking at her weak, pale figure through the window. I start to doubt it. She is lying there lifelessly while the doctor checks up on her.

My ears are ringing and I can’t hear a thing. It is as if everything is going happening in slow motion, the nurse is handing doctor some machine which is probably used to give electric shock to patients. I see my mom’s chest raise and fall as the doctor electrocutes her.

The surrounding in front me has turned blur all I see is the doctor, nurse and my mom and it is all playing out right in front my eyes like some silence movie. I am starting to feel dizzy and don’t even know how I am holding out.

“Okay situation is under control now.” I hear the doctor say to the nurse as they walk out of the room.

“Doctor how is my mother? She is fine now, right?” I ask him, my question rushed and eyes pleading.

“She is out of danger…” I sigh in relief, thanking heavens for saving her.

“But we still need to monitor her condition. She might slip into coma.” And these next words hit me like arrows and pierced my heart.

What coma? That can’t be happening. She won’t slip into coma. She is strong, I know nothing will happen to her. She will be awake before I know it. And then we will have her favourite chicken stew together. I stubbornly rub my eyes to stop the tears that are threatening to spill at any moment. It is devastating, why is it me? Why is it my mom? Why us? It is so unfair. I can’t take it.

- One week later -

“We are very sorry to tell you this. But your mother has slipped into coma.” I cannot believe what I am hearing. I can’t accept it. It can’t be.

“Doctor…” nothing comes out of my mouth I am just looking at doctor with pleading eyes, waiting for him to deny it.

“I am sorry.” And he walks away after giving me nothing of an assurance but a sigh. A sigh of helplessness.

I don’t have it in me to see my mom there lying on a hospital bed in a deep sleep which there is no guarantee if she will even ever wake up from. I rush out of the hospital, panting. I fumble to find my car keys in my hand bag.

And when I get hold of my key it falls down, my hands are trembling. So badly that I can’t even hold damn keys properly. I quickly pick up my car keys from the ground and unlock my car.

“Mom I promise you, I won’t let anything happen to you.” I tell to myself as I get inside the car and ignite the engine.

“You will be fine mom. You will be fine.” I speak like a broken record.

Tears are still falling down to the point that my eyes have turned red and itchy. I whip them with the back of my hand and continue to drive to the cross-street where I had met him. That weird man that had given me chills. I know it sounds stupid but I can’t think of something else.

I have been praying to God all this time and doesn’t seem like it heard any of it. All my prayers had gone to vail so no, I am not going to wait for some god to come and save my mom. If that creep can bring back my mom, then so it be him.

I am so blinded by resolve to save my mother that I don’t even notice now dark it has gotten outside. It is night time and sun has set long ago. I press the break and stop my car right where I had met him last time, at the cross-road.

My eyes still glossy and it feels like I am going to have another break down session, not like I didn’t have many in between these days. These horrible days.

” Hey, Mr. whoever you are. Where are you?” I yell to no one in particular as there is no one to begin with. I am standing all alone in the middle of a cross-road like some crazy woman. Well, what I am doing is crazy itself.

“You told me you can save my mom. I want you to save her, save my mom.” I screamed again.

“Sure dear. I will save your mommy. But we need to have a fair trade. Isn’t it? So…” I hear someone say from behind me. The person standing too close.

“Let’s make a deal.” He whispers into my ear.

+ + +

And here comes another chapter hehehe.

Let me know you thought about this chapter. Further chapters are going to be more interesting and lit I promise you guys.