eight

Pearl gripped the handle of her trunk anxiously as she awaited the train. The voices around her muffled as she was consumed by her racing thoughts of returning to London. Her eyes flicked over to the clock; eight minutes until the train would arrive.

She'd told Myrtle that she'd be leaving for a few days but would be back before the week drew to a close. Myrtle hadn't minded but made a fuss of making sure she wrapped up warm before she left the house, preparing to face the December frost.

However, Pearl hadn't let Tommy know; she told herself it was because she forgot, but deep down she knew it's because she couldn't face the accusations that she was running away from what had transpired between them in The Garrison.

It was so stupid of her to have let it go on this far; she hadn't noticed when she started falling for Tommy. In her mind she was dedicated to the mission - that's why she made note of his every move, why she always wanted to know his plans, got to know his family, got to know his scent, felt a tug in her abdomen when he walked into a room...

She could no longer deny that she was in a hopeless freefall, which she was desperately grappling to stop. Any attempt just seemed to make her fall further.

So she had to nip it in the bud. Pearl was sure that being counties away from Tommy would do it. Those blazing blue eyes couldn't follow and haunt her there.

Six minutes to the train.

"Pearl!"

She whipped her head around and saw a dainty hand waving through the air between the crowds.

"Move! Does the name Shelby mean nothing to you?" Ada elbowed her way through the people on the platform, clutching her hat atop her head as she rushed forward."What are ya doing?" she breathed, her cheeks slightly red from running.

"Uh, I'm catching a train" Pearl motioned to the platform they were currently standing on.

"No, why are you leaving?"

"I'm going to London for a few days"

Ada's face scrunched in confusion, "So you're not going for good?"

"No" Pearl laughed, "Is that why you're here?"

"For fucks sake. Wasted my breath for bloody nothing" Ada pulled off her hat in frustration and rubbed her hand against her temple.

"Ada, I'm so lost. Why are you here?"

"Tommy thought you were leaving, so he sent me down here to stop you. Only got told ten minutes ago, had to pelt it through the bloody streets to get here in time"

Pearl had learned not to be shocked when Tommy knew exactly where she was going. A blinder must have seen her heading for the station with a suitcase and got the wrong idea. Although, her heart did swell at the idea that he wanted to stop her.

"Wait, Ada. If Tommy didn't want me to go, why did he send you to talk to me?"

"What? You think Tommy Shelby is going to come running through the streets and make a grand gesture in front of everyone?"

Pearl blushed slightly at the notion, or because she thought that perhaps Tommy might actually want to speak to her himself.

"No one said anything about a grand gesture. I just thought maybe he'd want to talk to me in person if he thought I was leaving" Pearl shrugged, trying her best to sound nonchalant.

"Look, Tommy's not the kind of man to be in touch with his feelings. He didn't want you to go, that

tells you all you need to know" Ada smiled and pushed Pearl's arm affectionately.