seventeen

Few words had passed between Pearl and Tommy on the drive to London, everything had gone downhill too fast for either to truly process what was happening. Although, Tommy could tell that despite Pearl's blank stare the fidget of her hands and furrow of her brows showed that she was deep in thought - most likely figuring out a plan he was sure he wouldn't like. He knew that after all these years she'd got so used to working solo that she was hesitant to accept any form of help - but she didn't have a choice this time, she needed them whether she knew it or not.

"Willing to share what's going on up there?" Tommy asked, briefly motioning to Pearl's head.

She turned and looked at him with a frown as she was pulled from her daze, "What?"

"What are you planning?"

The question caused Pearl to stare down at her hands and start picking at her nails, lightly chewing on her lips as she weighed up her options.

"Well, the plan to try and trade the guns has obviously gone to shit, you know, now that I'm a fugitive and all" Tommy smirked a little at her comment, knowing that despite the fact she was wanted for murder it was maybe one of the lowest things on her list of priorities. "I know I berated John for his idea but going full force may be the only way forward"

Tommy hummed in response, "Very stealthy"

"Obviously I won't be using the front door" Pearl scoffed humorlessly, "That townhouse is like a labyrinth, it had to be for my father to feel safe living there. There's a dozen entrances, some that I bet Grenfeld has no clue about, we'll cover every exit so the bastard can't escape"

"He must have thought about that?"

"Thought about what?" Pearl questioned with a furrow of her brows.

Tommy faced her briefly and she caught the somewhat solemn look on his face, "He's holding her in your house. Surely he knows that you have the advantage"

"I'm not sure, I think... I think Grenfeld knows the memories that would be brought up for me when I go back into that house. That's probably why he did it. He's a sick man, he'd much rather drive someone to the brink of insanity than shoot them point blank. For whatever reason... he's chosen it on purpose"

Tommy waited a beat before asking,"What memories would be brought up for you?"

Pearl glanced across at him and then turned her head back to the road ahead, allowing the wind to blow her hair and create a visual barrier between them - refusing him his answer. She focused instead on the buildings which were now surrounding her, an unsettling sense of familiarity coming along with them.

Occasionally they would pass a road and a memory would briefly flash through her mind of a mop of blonde hair running through the street, with a much shorter brunette following along behind. She tried her best to hide the way a chill ran down her spine at every memory of her and Lillian's childhood; she felt every memory, both good and bad, had been spoiled by what she'd become.

They eventually parked up a side street in Battersea and Tommy led Pearl towards the river. Pearl was on edge, constantly glancing every which way and periodically tapping the breast of her blazer to feel the indent of her gun underneath the material. When they reached the water Pearl recognised a group of about ten men loitering in the shadows of a building, each with a peaky cap resting atop their head.

Pearl exhaled a huff of relief, "I can't fault your organisation, Tommy. Truly"

"What kind of man would I be without a contingency plan?" he responded, giving her a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder.

Arthur, John and Johnny Dogs emerged from the group once Pearl and Tommy were close enough and pulled them towards the shade that had been cast across the street by the building. An air of relief spread across Pearl's face and she stepped forward to embrace them separately, trying to show her gratitude for them through an extra tight squeeze.