Chapter Three

The next morning I awake to the sun blinding me and Maze leaning against the window arms crossed, her presence surprises me and I roll off the bed and stand quickly; amusement crosses her face and she stands up straight gesturing to the small closet now hung with four different outfits for my job tonight.

"Lucifer picked them himself after I offered him a larger stack to pick from," she tells me, "however he's leaving the decision up to you for the final outfit."

Almost all of them are practically backless making me swallow hard, she sees the emotion play across my face and gestures to one; it's almost like black bandages crossing each other at the front leaving my back completely exposed above my waist. The pants are black also leather and with holes stripped across the front from the thighs down.

"I think this would fit your form."

"Isn't there anything else?" I ask, "that doesn't reveal the back?" She raises an eyebrow, "this is LUX the more skin shown the better." I scoff, "you don't understand why I ask."

"Enlighten me then," she commands.

"Or you'll what? Cut me up or something?" I ask, "I bleed just like a human, Mazikeen, I can die too but at the same time I heal pretty quickly."

"And I thought Decker was annoying," she mutters, "are you going to tell me or not?"

Sighing heavily I turn away from her, unbutton the shirt and drop it down holding onto the fabric with my elbows; I hear her make a sound but can't decipher what it is but the next thing I know her hands are probing at my back like Lucifer's did and I flinch at the coldness of her skin.

"Someone cut off your wings," she states flatly, "who?"

"Wings? I never had any," I argue, "hence the tattoo; plus it covers my scars well enough."

I pull the shirt back up before she can touch me again and button it as I turn to face her, she has that same look of puzzlement as Lucifer had last night making me uncomfortable, but I decide there's no getting around the backless thing and tell her I'll use the one she showed me for tonight.

"There should be some make up here," she goes to the bathroom attached to the spare room pulling out a small tote bag, "jewelry too but if you need or want something specific let me know."

She leaves muttering under her breath I wonder if she is going to toss her theories about my scars to her fearless leader which makes me start to wonder; did I used to have wings? Did someone close to me cut them off after finding out what I was? I know my father back when I was smaller was angry with my mother for lying to him about what she was he hated me for it after I was born, when she wasn't around he was so rude, so vile and ruthless. I realize with a shock that I've slept in until noon, but I don't want to put the clothes on for tonight just yet because I'm still not really comfortable with showing my back to the public but maybe if I apply enough make up on myself and cover up my identity it won't really matter anyhow. Just walking through the club the night before everyone seemed too busy with drinking and shoving their tongues down other people's throats to notice anything else.

Lucifer is standing in his little kitchen his back to me, yawning a little louder than necessary he jumps then turns around with a plate of pancakes in hand; he's been so nice after just meeting him the night before I wonder if he's like this with all the ladies or with ones he plans to get into bed.

"Ah, there you are," he smiles, "have a nice sleep, darling?"

"Uh yeah, woke up to a bright sun and Mazikeen staring at me," he chuckles, "sorry about that, she's still not hip to the personal space thing with humans."