032

theodore nott had never felt more lonely on christmas.

indeed, he had made the decision to abstain from asking anyone to the ball, but as the hour hand brushed past eleven, he'd simply taken a seat and watched his friends enjoy the night. some part of him had just wanted to join blaise and artemis; despite their couple-esque dynamic this night. he'd danced with about four people throughout the night; a durmstrang girl he'd forgotten the name of (but she was, to be fair, quite distractingly pretty), padma patil (he'd been rather smug that he'd danced with her instead of her date, weasley), artemis, and a breathtakingly gorgeous boy from beauxbatons. but all the flirting and banter had somewhat drained him, and he'd retired to one of the seats at the table they'd all sat at a few hours earlier.

he sighed. "merry christmas, theo." he rose, draining the remainder of whatever fruity drink he'd been nursing, before making his way to the great hall's grand wooden door. craning his neck once more, theodore watched as blaise laughed at something his date said before lifting his hand and spinning her once. theo asked himself why he'd just watched the interaction, and came up with nought of an answer. or, perhaps, he'd figured it out long ago, and could not admit it to himself just yet.

and then the clock chimed twelve times; ringing resonant and clear across the entire hogwarts grounds. theodore shoved his hands inside the pockets of his thick dress robes and continued to trek towards the common room, his head hung with the heaviness of his heart. gelled elegantly at nine o'clock, earlier that night, theodore's brown hair had sprouted a few strands which hung across his forehead.

"sorry," he muttered absentmindedly, after his shoulder met with the body of one of two giggling girls.

whatever had happened to draco and pansy, he wondered. had they truly had enough of the ball so early? sure, he knew draco might have been somewhat pissed, or put-off, at something regarding artemis (as was the usual, nowadays), but he'd assumed that draco would just get over it and have fun with pansy in the end. but of course, theo's gloomiest friend alway found a way to be pessimistic, didn't he?

usually, he wouldn't feel any disdain towards said friend; but he felt that this had gone on far too long. both of them—artemis and draco—should have just gotten over themselves and their petty desire to be the one in the right long ago. he wondered if they'd ever forgive each other, and then he hoped—desperately hoped with all his might—that they would.

-

 (a/n) merry christmas :)

sorry it's short.