Part 3

Hua Cheng was amazed: she looked so much like Xie Lian! Well, actually Xie Lian looked like her, but anyway the face, the eyes, the smile... – same hair colour, only she had blondish streaks on her shoulder length hair. She was of medium height, curvy, and wore an oversized denim shirt, leggings and grey felt slippers.

He smiled back, "I'm happy to be here too, thank you for having me", and handed over the orchid awkwardly; she seemed delighted, and hugged him again.

She turned to Xie Lian, "Go and drag your father away from that computer".

He left and returned a few minutes later with his dad. Xie Lian definitely looked like his mother, but his general build was his father's. He was tall, with darker hair and eyes, and wore a woollen jumper, dark denim and brogues. He shook Hua Cheng's hand, "Hi San Lang, I'm glad Xie Lian thought of bringing you to meet his parents"; he looked at Xie Lian teasingly.

"Dad", he protested, pffting a laugh.

His dad said, "Right, I better go and get the turkey we ordered".

"You can go tomorrow", Xie Lian's mum said, and added, "Hum, actually tomorrow it'll be a nightmare. Yes you better go now darling".

"I'll go with you dad", Xie Lian said.

"Gege, I'll stay with your mum", Hua Cheng said politely, and Xie Lian's mum immediately linked arms with him, smiling brightly.

"That's right, I can entertain San Lang while you're gone", she said.

Father and son looked at each other, and Xie Lian said, "Mum, don't do anything embarrassing".

"You know my only child, Xie Lian", she said to Hua Cheng, as if there were only the two of them present, "He seems to think I'm an embarrassment". She sounded damn serious too!

Xie Lian's dad sighed, and put a hand on Xie Lian's shoulder, "Let's go before your mother comes up with more drama". Xie Lian smiled and shook his head, and, mouthing 'Be right back' to Hua Cheng, he left with his dad.

When they were alone, Xie Lian's mum smiled, "Of course I'm going to do embarrassing things, such is the nature of mothers right?"

Hua Cheng gave her a strained smile; maybe she was right, his own mother would certainly do embarrassing things, in a totally different way. He looked around: the kitchen was an open plan with the dining room and lounge. There were glass doors to a back garden, two big sofas and a Christmas tree with twinkling lights at the corner.

"San Lang, do you drink white wine? Would you join me?", she asked, opening the fridge and taking a bottle out.

"I'd love to", he replied, offering to open up the bottle; while he was at it, she got two wine glasses from the cupboard, and kept looking at him and smiling.

"You're so good-looking, Xie Lian sure has a good taste".

He opened the bottle, pouring wine into the glasses and flashed her a smile, "Thank you. I can see where Gege's good looks came from too".

She winked and they clinked glasses. "Xie Lian said you were a bit nervous about coming over, but you're super at ease! Maybe he was just exaggerating. Come have a seat".

Hua Cheng was nervous before, but seeing how Xie Lian's parents received him made him relax. Even Ruoye climbed on the sofa and curled up by his side. They were Gege's family after all, they were bound to be cool – he immediately saw a flaw in his logic though: he had nothing to do with his own family, or at least he hoped so.

As if reading his thoughts, Xie Lian's mum asked, "I hope it's alright for you to spend Christmas with us"; she didn't ask directly about his parents, but...

"I know it sounds bad, but I'm not really close to my family". He wasn't sure if Xie Lian had said anything about it or not, but she only replied "Oh well that happens, don't worry", and smiled, like it was just one of those things.

Hua Cheng smiled happily; he didn't want people to feel sorry for him. In spite of everything, he was doing good, more than good now he was with Xie Lian; he really couldn't believe his luck. He looked down at Ruoye and caressed her fur, feeling her warmth and steady breathing.

They talked about uni life; she asked him about his course and his projects, and about the time he spent in LA while working with Yong'An Productions. She was witty and charming, and Hua Cheng suspected she only teased Xie Lian about being embarrassing; or, maybe nothing about Xie Lian could be embarrassing to him!

"Seven o'clock!", she suddenly said, "I better start making dinner".

She got up and Hua Cheng followed, "Can I help you?"

"Do you cook?", she asked with a teasing smile, knowing fully well this was a 'will you look after my baby boy properly' kind of question.

Hua Cheng pffted a laugh, "I can't do a beef bourguignon but yeah I can fix something".

"No beef bourguignon tonight, only fried noodles", she replied, taking a big wok pan from the cupboard, noodles, then walking over to the fridge, to get some chicken breat and veggies. "You can slice veggies if you don't mind".

When Xie Lian and his dad walked in, carrying big bags with the turkey and extra stuff they decided to buy last minute, Hua Cheng and Xie Lian's mum were cooking together, drinking wine, chatting and laughing, BFFs indeed!

Xie Lian's mum and Hua Cheng – BFFs! 😂😂😂

Please vote, comment, follow me!