CHAPTER 7: THIS LINE IS BUSY

September 4th, 1990

Saying my job was boring was an understatement, but while Kurt didn't have a stable job, I was the "breadwinner" of the household for now. Meaning I had to take extra shifts to cover bills and shit.

Hiding from my mom wasn't making my experience any better. I haven't spoken to her since I ditched her at lunch. She's been ringing me, so much to the point I just decided it was best for me to unplug my phone entirely.

Speaking of phones, I had been ignoring the phone ringing on my desk for the last thirty seconds. I should probably answer that.

"Uhh, Quinn Real Estate, you buy 'em, we sell 'em" I plastered a smile on my face.

"I'd like to put my house on the market, it's located at 31 Spooner street" A masked voice replied on the other end.

"Pardon me?" I questioned, as that was MY house.

"Yes you heard me correct, just letting you know, the house has plumbing issues and a terrible rat infestation"

"Oh my God Krist, this is a busy line. Fuck off!" I said obnoxiously loud

I covered my head in my hands.

I don't get paid enough for this.

"Hey, how are you holding up there" Valerie pulled her chair up next to me and swung her arm around me.

I forced myself to smile, "Couldn't be better" I said, with an obvious sarcastic tone.

"Well I'm about to make your day, there is a cute guy out the front asking for you, better go see what he needs" She smiled at me and pulled her chair away.

I sighed and stood up from my desk. As much as I'd hate it, Oliver was probably here to pester me.

I peeked my head around the corner to see who was there.

"Hey Vanilla!" A voice called out from behind me.

I turned around to see Dave, although I wasn't surprised due to him calling me Vanilla. I guess it's kind of an inside joke now, not quite sure if he knows that isn't my name though...

"Oh, hey Dave! What do you need?" I was relieved he was here.

"I heard you have really good sneaking out skills, the girl that told you I was here said you were okay to leave and she wouldn't tell a higher power" He smirked.

I looked at him with a slightly confused look, "Huh?"

"Krist let me use his car, wanna go get something to eat?" He held up the car keys.

"I'd love to, except I have to work," I frowned.

Wait.. is this like a date or something?

"It's okay, that girl said she'd cover you" He grinned.

I owe Val.

"Well, I guess I could," I shrugged.

"Great! I managed to snag a parking spot right at the front" He exclaimed.

I giggled, as the front spots were always open anyway.

Krist's car was a total shitbox, but it was my main source of transportation. So we all had to make do.

"It sucks that you have to work such a boring job" Dave sighed as he started the car.

"I know, but it pays pretty decent, that's an upside" I shrugged.

"Ehh, I guess that's good" He lightly smiled, "I need a job just in case this music thing doesn't work out. I hope you'll hire me" He took one of his hands off the steering wheel and ruffled my hair.

He leant back, "Seriously though, I should get a job. I dropped out of high school to tour with scream, which thinking back on it, wasn't smart. I lived in a van for like, 6 months and lived off corn dogs. I can't recommend"

"I don't know. Nirvana has this charm to it. I feel like you guys have serious potential to make it big. If Nirvana, for some reason, doesn't work, you could always find a new band. You are a beast on drums." I said with a semi-serious tone.

He smiled as he pushed back his hair behind his ear.

"How does KFC sound? I really want those chicken nuggets, but it's up to you of course," He turned to me with a smile.

"I'm good with that, KFC is better than being at work" I said while rummaging through the glove box to find sunglasses.

I hadn't realized we had pulled into a parking spot, because I was so fascinated by the junk in Krist's grotty glovebox.

"May I?" Dave said in a joking tone as he opened the car door for me and held out his hand.

I chuckled and took his hand, "Thank you sir, now, we must indulge ourselves in grease galore"

We started walking, without letting each other's hands go.

"You're very interesting Vanilla. I'm glad I met you," He said as he walked slightly closer to me.

I gazed up at him.

"Me too."

NOTE

i'm sorry for the family guy reference if you picked it up. I couldn't help myself 😭😭