CHAPTER 14: YOU CAN THIRD WHEEL IF YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND?

September 20th, 1991

"I can't believe she's tagging along with us! I mean, she's not bad or anything, but this was gonna be a date" Dave groaned and used his puppy eyes on me.

I grabbed his face and squished his cheeks, "I know... But I never see her so It's gonna happen"

"Where is she anyway? She was supposed to be here like 5 minutes ago" He pressed his hands up against the car window and wiped the condensation off.

"She's going to learn how it is to be a third wheel! The amount of times I had to third wheel her and Chris is unbelievable!" I said proudly.

"Here, scoot over so she can fit in the front, there is so much shit in the back she might suffocate" Dave reached over, grabbed my waist and sat me on his lap.

"Aye Aye! Laura is gonna be here any minute! I don't want to traumatise her or anything!" I giggled as he laid kisses all over my neck.

"Oi! Not while I'm here you dogs!" Laura slid into the passenger seat while Dave quickly lowered me off his lap to sit between them.

I happily pulled Laura into a huge embrace, as I hadn't seen her in months.

"I see your picking up on Annie's vocabulary... Try not be too mean or you'll make Dave cry" I joked and he nudged me.

Laura laughed and shook her head profusely, "No way! I'll never be as sour as her" She checked herself out in the rear view mirror and fluffed her hair up, "Okay, let's go before I have little nieces and nephews running around here"

I scooted over closer to Dave and put his arm around my shoulder, "We'll try, but there's no promises" I looked up at him and winked.

At the restaurant

"Oh boy! I haven't been here in at least ten years! I've so missed this place, last time I was here I choked!" Laura shrieked as she looked through the once familiar menus. Dear lord, I think I can remember the time she was talking about too.

Dave looked at me like he'd just seen a ghost, "Excuse me?"

"Stop playing with your food Fionnuala!" My mom grabbed my ear and scolded me. We were never really taken out to fancy places, because my sisters and I can't be taken anywhere without one of us causing a scene.

I looked over across the table, and noticed Annie was preparing to flick a bottle cap over to me. I got up and leaned over the table, "Throw it over to Laura, not me" I whispered so I didn't get my mothers or my sister's attention.

Annie shrugged and nodded. She moved her aim towards Laura, who was sitting right next to me. Laura put her hands on her neck and yawned, while Annie unintentionally flicked the bottle cap into her mouth. Before Laura reacted, I could see Annie mouthing the words 'Oh shit'

"Dear God! I would never be able to look at bottle caps ever again!" Dave said in between his laughing fit.

She held up the bottle cap lying on the table and inspected it, "I had to get one of these fuckers surgically removed. Not fun"

"It's okay. I did a lot of stupid shit when I was little too. I am no person to judge!" He shrieked and grabbed his neck.

Laura suddenly settled down in her place and rested her head in her hands. "So... Finney tells me you guys have an album releasing soon..."

He perked up, "Yeah! We had a budget of $65,000! Can you believe that?"

I was so proud of Kurt, Krist and Dave. They had come so far, from Kurt secretly crashing at my parents house, to getting a record deal and releasing their second album. Even if Kurt was still living with me rent free... He better pay me back one day.

Dave's eyes were suddenly drawn to a table not too far from ours, he looked as if he was trying to remember something, or someone.

"What's wrong?" I tried to catch a glance at what he was staring at, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but... Is that Kurt's Ex-girlfriend?" He discreetly pointed to the table in the corner of the restaurant.

"Holy shit! It is!" I looked over his shoulder to see Tracy and that bartender we saw last year, sitting at a table. "He's the guy who served us that night we egged that flat!"

"How about that" Dave smugly grinned. "Wait... How do you remember?"

"Let's go talk to them!" I beamed and stood up, grabbing Dave's hand.

Laura groaned while hitting her head on the table, "Can't we just wave?"

Dave and I shuffled our way through the filled tables, with Laura grumpily trailing behind us.

"Well well well! I haven't seen you in ages Trace!" I crept up next to her table

Tracy perked her head up and smiled once she saw me, "Hey Finney!" Her eyes then drifted to my hand, which was linked to Dave's.

"Seems like we've both been pretty busy since we last spoke" I grinned and looked over to the bartender. He stupidly smiled and waved to me.

"What's up? My names Joey" He leaned on the table with one hand, and shook my hand with his other. "Sorry about the whole egg thing. I didn't know you were going to drink the entire bottle in a span of 10 minutes" He smirked.

"Egg thing?" Laura raised her eyebrow and cupped her chin.

"You told him?" I squealed and tried to not think about that night. Although, Dave made one of his first moves on the day of the cleanup, so maybe I do have to thank myself for being a fuckwit.

Tracy wore a guilty smile, "Sorry. It just kind of slipped out" She shrugged.

"What egg thing?! I need to be let in on this gossip!" Laura complained while throwing her head back in frustration.

Dave and I turned to her in unison.

"You just had to be there"