Chapter Six

ELIJAH

I had—in the most childish way imaginable—let Evangeline know that I liked her or moreover that I liked being around her. I tried to recollect the scenario in my head again and again but it only left me feeling it was worse than it was. I knew I must have sounded nervous or apprehensive but I couldn't know for sure. It was only her response that gave me any type of relief,  the answer was quick and sincere.

Evangeline had sparked nerves within me that I hadn't felt since my adolescent years. My normal straightforwardness seemed to wither and I felt distorted in her presence. To be frank I haven't answered whether I liked her or carried out a more friendly crush but I believe spending more time with her would lead me to my answer.

She was stubborn which had been the first thing I noticed about her. That, I had seen when guys in the building more often then not offered to carry her groceries or mail or when she was at the bakery with her helping hand firm in her answer how the baked goods should be displayed.

The second thing I had noticed was how quick she walked. It was an odd thing to notice I suppose but her legs were on the shorter end but they never failed to beat me up the stairs to the apartments.

Then the third was her sweet fragrance that smelled as if she showered in vanilla extract and frosting. This scent followed her from the bakery to her home which made me enjoy swinging by her place every now and then.

The list of things I noticed could have gone on but with my job it's normal to notice things of that nature. I'm always on alert, always people watching. Though on days like today when I hadn't gone to work, I attempted to relax by doing anything, everything that requires me not to sit and think. This normally was a run to Elle's where it had been a 50/50 split whether id actually go in. I'd pace at the corner till I built up enough of a nerve to go inside.

I am never really one to break my routines so I had my running shoes and large hoodie already on. I was a man who didn't like change and if there had been any change it was because I had too. Normally to separate myself from whatever toxic and unbecoming things that popped up in my life.  Those things, however, always seemed to bite me in the ass later.

Getting up from the couch Harvey knew I was leaving and shot from his seat to follow me out. A second later I heard him whining in hopes I'd stay. Initially I felt bad for those who lived around me but after awhile I stopped caring. He was still technically a puppy and I refused to put a muzzle on him.

Digging out a treat from the bag that I purposefully placed by the door I commanded him to sit and tossed him the treat that he gladly took.

The run to the bakery wasn't that far and with my endurance the time to get there was quick. To be honest I wasn't big on sweets too much but coming here got me out of the house. Not long did I get to the front entrance of Elle's and pull open the door where the bell above it then rang. The place wasn't too busy but I was tempted to leave after I found myself in line behind two people. Two things that I more than hated, lines and people.

Scrolling through my phone I would glance every now and then to see if I could catch a glimpse and I war fairly disappointed when it had been the elderly lady rather than Evangeline.

"Ah. You're back again. She knew you'd come in eventually." Rose smiled before grabbing a brown bag from the counter behind her. "It's a blueberry muffin but is there anything else you'd like?"