Chapter Four

+ a trigger warning beginning of chapter

ELIJAH

It was a disquieted feeling.

The moment the dispatcher radios in a 911 call and you anticipate the short, vital knowledge of the situation. You hope its something feasible like a homeless man causing a disturbance or a brawl at a bar between drunks. Unfortunately, the call I received on the morning of my shift had been anything but benign.

It was a domestic violence call where, fortunately, a mother and her son were able to seek refuge in their apartment bathroom.

It was part of our job to remain calm during a situation like this, but hearing a father trying to hurt his wife and child left a bitter taste in your mouth. Emotions and thoughts would inhibit your mind, you wish you can do something more, but there was only so much you could do.

So you drove. You flipped on your sirens and lights and accelerated down the road in hopes you'd get there before anything fatal could happen. I was thankful that my partner, Dominic had already had a lead foot while he drove. Also for the fact that we were already in close distance to their apartment since it was our designated area to sweep.

With no elevator, we had run up the concrete steps. I could feel my heartbeat accelerate but with a single deep breath, I tried to block out the worry-the fear. So many things could go wrong but I did my best to push down those emotions to help the others who needed it the most. Though particular calls like this one always hit close to home.

Reaching the third floor I could hear the screaming coming down the right of the hall. It only took a single look between us to know to continue and pursue.

The door to the apartment had already been open and we wasted no time furthering our strides. Banging on what I assumed to be the bathroom door the large burly man hadn't noticed us until Dominic called out to him.

He was drunk. That much was obvious from his red eyes and shaky stance. How many times had they gone through this before without calling it in? For my mother, it took a total of seventeen years.

Attempting to talk the man down we could both notice the aggression still holding which only meant he intended to resist. As expected he came running towards Dominic with as must speed as he could muster but Dominic had been much quicker. Pulling out his taser he tased the man and after a few seconds, he fell to the ground.

Drawing my attention away from the man that now laid on the ground spurring out profanities as Dominic read him his rights whimpering and crying could be heard from the opposite end of the door.

"I got him. You go." Dominic said yanking the man off the ground.

As softly as I could I knocked on the beaten door. "Mrs. Mills, I'm Elijah Benson with NYPD. You're good to come out."

Still assuming they hadn't moved I knocked on the door again but this time told her that her husband was being taken downstairs. Hearing faint shuffling I stood back from the door. The lady held her son close resting him on her hip. He couldn't have been any more than five.

Her eyes were red and puffy her hands still shaking from shock. The dim light of the hallway showed you her various bruises. One of which had taken a place on her left eye.

"I want to take you and your son to the ambulance just to get checked out." Not being able to say a word she nodded.

Leading her all the way down I stayed till they finished checking her up. For a few moments while they did so she let me hold her son who seemed not to know exactly what was going on. Doing my own quick inspection there had been no visible bruising on the boy who's name I learned to be Samuel. I had even got a small giggle out of him before handing him back.