Groundhog's Shadow

"Come on Faline. Hurry." Alexis says as she and Faline are walking towards the others.

"Okay Alexis. I'm right beside you." Faline says as she and Alexis sit down with the others as they look at Friend Owl.

"Greetings, greetings. Each year we gather round to watch the groundhog emerge from his winter slumber. For if he sees his shadow-" Friend Owl then gets cut off by a female young rabbit.

"It means more winter!" The female rabbit says.

"Yes. But if he doesn't-" Friend Owl then gets cut off by another female rabbit.

"Spring is on its way!" The young rabbit shouts happily.

"Yes. Now without any further groundhog! The groundhog!" Friend Owl shouts as everyone doesn't see the groundhog come out of his hole.

"Where's the groundhog?!" Thumper asks impatiently.

"Groundhog! Groundhog! Groundhog! Groundhog!" Thumper's sisters shout as Friend Owl goes into the groundhog's den.

"Hi Bambi." Alexis says as she sees Bambi and goes over to him with Faline.

"Oh. Hi Alexis, Faline. I didn't see you." Bambi says as he smiles.

"The same to you. I almost didn't recognize you." Alexis says as she smiles.

"Really? I guess it's 'cause my spots are almost gone. And my antlers are coming in too. Can you see them?" Bambi asks as he bows his head so Alexis and Faline can look.

"Uh..." Alexis says as she sees nothing.

"Well.." Faline says as she sees nothing.

"I don't see anything. Well I don't." Thumper says much to Bambi's annoyance.

"The groundhog!" Friend Owl shouts as he gets the groundhog to come out of his hole.

"I see his shadow." The young rabbit says happily.

"More winter." Thumper says disappointedly.

"More hibernating." Flower says happily.

"Oh spring is here! Spring is here! Oh I'll never be frightened again." The groundhog says as a young buck goes up behind him.

"Boo! It looks like I scared the shadow right out of him." The buck says as he laughs scaring the groundhog before sees everyone is walking away.

"Did you see the look on his... Hey! Hey, hey, hey! Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey! Where's everybody going? Forest on fire?" The buck asks as he runs up to the others.

"Uh who are you?" Alexis asks as the buck smiles at her causing her to blush slightly.

"Name's Ronno. And these are the boys. Stab and Jab!" The buck says as he gestures to his tiny horns.

"Charming." Alexis says she smiles and chuckles slightly causing Ronno to smile proudly.

"I hope the three of you have a nice day." Faline says as the group continues to walk.

"I wouldn't go that way if I were you." Ronno says.

"And why not?" Alexis asks.

"That's where I saw a Man." Ronno says causing the others to stop.

"You saw a Man?" Bambi asks curiously.

"Uh-huh. There I was. Out in the meadow. Suddenly I heard this voice luring me in. I'm here. I'm here. See Man's got this stick that can make his voice sound like one of us! But I'm way too smart for that. So I crept up on him real quiet. Then bam! I knocked him out with my trusty antlers." Ronno says as headbutts a tree causing snow to fall from the branches.

"That's quite a story." Faline says.

"Definitely something alright." Alexis says as Ronno smiles at her.

"Oh you think so?" Ronno asks proudly as he goes over to Alexis smiling causing to slightly smile.

"Mm-hm. It's unbelievable." Faline says.

"Yeah. Unbelievable." Bambi says.

"You calling me a liar?" Ronno asks as he goes over to Bambi.

"No." Bambi says.

"You wanna spar do ya?" Ronno asks as he hops around a bit.

"Uh no!" Bambi says nervously.

"Clobber him Bambi!" Thumper shouts.

"Thumper hush." Alexis says as she looks at Thumper.

"Why? Bambi can take him." Thumper says as Alexis gives him an annoyed look.

"Bambi? Isn't that a girl's name? Come on. Let's go. Just a little friendly competition." Ronno says as he goes up close to Bambi.

"Ronno." A voice says in the distance.

"Coming Mother." Ronno says.

"Sounds like your mom wants you. Better go see what she wants." Alexis as she steps in front of Bambi.

"Yeah. Maybe you better get going." Faline says.

"Jeez. I-I was only playing around with him. Isn't that right Bambi?" Ronno asks as he looks at Bambi.

"Ronno!" Ronni's mother shouts.

"I'm coming!" Ronno shouts as he runs off.

"You big mama's boy! Why don't you run home to your mama? You big old mama's boy!" Thumper shouts mockingly.

"Thumper!" Thumper's mother shouts.

"Coming Mama. Gotta go. See ya Bambi." Thumper says as he and Flower leave with their families.

"Do you want us to walk you home?" Faline asks as she and Alexis look at Bambi.

"Yeah. Better than staying here alone." Alexis says.

"No. My father's coming for me." Bambi says.

"Alright..." Faline says.

"It was good to see you again Bambi." Alexis says as she leaves with Faline.