PART SEVEN

Seven chapters to get through the part you don't even see on screen in Episode 4 lol. Obviously all the characters will have a few lines but I was mainly going to focus on Bull, Gene and (more obviously) Lieb, however I'm kinda wanting to change it to Toye, Gene, Shifty and Gene. We'll see how it goes.

Word count; 2,123

Dianne

— September 15th, 1944. Aldbourne, England.

5 o'clock and the sun was already a quarter beneath the horizon, birds already in their nests and soldiers in their barracks. Orders were to pack up and, as a unit, move to the airfield south of Aldbourne via one of Britain's longest carriage-bearing trains, for a final brief of Market Garden and - of course - the jump into Holland in two days time.

I waited in the classroom where all topics were taught in the small village-turned-military-base; from navigation and first aid theory to simple fieldcraft tactics and recaps of section attacks performed by Easy Company during the period after D-Day. Winters loitered in the far corner, where some sort of abandoned kitchen still stood, and Nixon beside him, the Intelligence Officer scribbling down on a map and his superior following along intently. Compton and Welsh soon joined, and only two minutes after, the rest of the NCOs from the Company, including technicians. As each man entered, their eyes fell first on me and, after a sense of shock, landed on their C.O, who ordered them all to take a seat.

"How is everyone?" Winters asked - referring to the men, not the non-comms infront of him.

Each person in front of him nodded, one saying 'cold' and another saying 'excited'. Someone even said thrilled.

"Good, good," He said, voice soft yet husky, moving out from the kitchen and to the spotlight. "Well, confirmation of timings;"

The soldiers had to be packed up by 17h45 and formed up with their kit at 18h00. Easy Company - as well as the rest of the 101st Airbourne Division stationed in Aldbourne - would then move out on carriers to the train station. After the NCOs jotted this down in their notebooks, the C.O. added that final meal will be had at the airfield and consist of fresh eggs and chocolate pudding, this all commencing at 21h00 that night, and absolutely without a shadow of doubt no alcohol was allowed on the train journey. Nixon smirked; he'd find a way.

In the middle of this, I caught the eye of Liebgott, who prompted his eyebrows, meaning, got a problem?

Everyone stood, dismissing themselves back to their accommodations.

"Cards, anyone?" Luz probed. "And no cheatin' this time, Bill-"

"Watch your mouth, pretty boy," Guarnere stuck a finger to George's nose.

"None of you know how to play nice, huh?" Compton interjected. "Not even in front of the lady."

"Get her to join us and I'll come along," Toye glanced at me.

"Got something to tell her, Joe?" Luz batted his eyelashes, pouting.

They scraped their chairs back into place. As I walked down the classroom front steps to the street, Compton tried to make conversation, half of which I ignored.

"C'mon, doll, ain't you got anything to say?"

"Hey, Buck," Martin stood behind us. "Read the room."

The Lieutenant chuckled, shaking his head and turning on his heels.

I walked down the aisle of the train cart, holdall slung over my shoulder. Stopping at an empty set of four chairs, I plodded the bag down, taking a seat closest to the window. One by one, the carriage filled up with soldiers, Lieutenant Welsh sitting down opposite me. It wasn't long before he fell asleep and started mumbling about his wife during this slumber.