PART TEN

Yes, it has been nearly a month since updating. Yes, I am going away for two weeks again. Do I care? No.

Word count; 2,515

Dianne

The men gathered twenty minutes before the scheduled brief, most loitering outside before making their way into the tent and settling down on the wooden benches. It was the most I had seen of them at one time; not even the descent from the train station seemed this vast. According to Lewis, the entirety of 2nd Battalion had passed through the shelter (him forced to attend each gathering because he worked at Battalion) as well as 1st - over five companies of soldiers. Each company was given forty-five minutes to deliver their orders, now being Easy's turn. And so, as an Intelligence Officer, I waited up front with Lewis, both of us watching the men take their seats and Winters prepare his introduction.

"Can you see the men?"

Nixon was referring to those who would accompany me in my mission, looking towards a part of the crowd as if that is where they would be.

"With respect, Captain, I don't know what half the men look like."

He gave me a look, which I reciprocated; how was I the dumb one here? Even those of the men I happened to be acquainted with - Malarkey, Randleman and Powers - were no where to be seen.

"That's my point," He almost ignored my remark. "Where are they?"

I rolled my eyes, "If you wanted me to go look for them, hon, all you had to do was ask."

"And have you bite my head off?" He finally looked at me. "Like you just did?"

"You are my superior."

"And I've been given orders to treat you not like a damn orderly."

I shrugged, glancing over the men. Nixon let out an exhale, his hand detesting the absence of a bottle neck.

"So do you want me to or not?" 

He stared at me, pupils set dead straight on mine.

"Or do I have to get him involved?" I indicated with my eyes to behind me.

"Lieutenant Kennedy," He hated the thought of Winters' involvement. "Please may you go see where Sergeants Randleman, Malarkey and Corporals Sisk and Powers are. Or do you want me to say please again?"

I flashed a smile, tugging at the bottom of my combat jacket before moving off. Luckily, the crowd didn't notice my disappearance, too enthralled with their own conversations.

Truth be told, some part of me knew what to expect when I emerged outside and turned the corner, but another part was surprised; why, when we are in the middle of a war, is this the standard? Maybe, after all, that was why the U.S. Military had to render Operation Judy - they were too sick and tired of incompetent men carrying out an ineffectual job.

Before me, a group of five or six men stood around another on the ground, almost circling him. None had realised of my presence and continued the conversation as if I wasn't there.

"Hey, Johnny, give me a goddamn break, okay?" Liebgott - the man on the ground - piped up.

"No, Joe, I'm not going to give you a goddamn break. You think this is acceptable? Why the shit do you think this is acceptable?"

"You're not helping, Martin." A much, much wiser voice interjected, a medic's voice.

"You know it's not smart to be playing the blame game now, John," Shifty commented.