41

"So

"So... does Metallica continue throughout the eighties?"

"The eighties?" Joan scoffed as if he insulted her grandma's roses. "They're still touring worldwide in 2023."

"Shit." Eddie exhaled breathlessly eyes wide with the new knowledge. "And it's just... normal to listen to without being called demonic or people assuming you want to sacrifice their babies?"

"I mean, it's more like people just don't care. There's a religion called the Church of Satan recognized by the military so I don't know." Her nose scrunched up and she let out a sigh. "Actually, they're kinda mainstream now."

"Ah, that sucks."

"Yeah, is what it is."

Joan couldn't help the smile that spread over her face as she felt the familiar curls brush against the crown of her hair when Eddie moved a little bit. They had taken up the space underneath the trees lying on their backs with theirs heads nearly touching as they kept the broken off telephone headset in between them, waiting to hear from anyone. Every now and again Eddie would make another plea for help going from threatening, to begging, to raging.

It ended up becoming Eddie asking questions about the future and Joan happily obliging in story telling. There was a comfort in being able to talk about her friends and family, whom she missed dearly, while giving Eddie all the companies he should put stocks into when all of this was said and done. It may have been torture without her family, but helping Eddie potentially become a millionaire while describing her family was strangely therapeutic to her. 

"Listen, heavy metal has become so normalized that Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train was used on one of the most famous commercials in, like, 2011 or whatever."

"Okay, so totally looking forward to the metal scene being even bigger." Eddie said excitedly as he threw some leaves away from his body already imagining the concerts and scene being ten times greater. "But what about D?"

Joan scoffed and sent a smirk, even though he couldn't see her. She turned over onto her her forearms and Eddie looked up at her with his eyebrows up in question. "I don't know, why don't you ask the 2022 Hellfire Club president herself?"

Eddie's eyes widened and his hands froze with leaves still inside them, staring up at Joan in disbelief. "No fuckin' way." A twinkle entered his eyes followed by a large grin and laugh. " No fuckin' way, Henderson."

"By the way, shirt design never changed. Dad and other anonymous donors ensured it by donating to the school on occasion as long as Hellfire Club remained." Joan's smirk turned into a grin as she gave Eddie's head a small smack with her hand. "Guess someone did a good job, huh?"

The moment between them was tantalizing and continued to sweeten with every passing second. Joan's hand rested on Eddie's cheek softly as they peered at each other with wide, happy eyes that had both of them catching their breaths at the sight. Eddie's wild mess of a mane weaved around him like a messy halo while Joan's zebra scrunchy ponytail was smooth and nearly tickled his nose if she were to lean down just as she did right now-