chapter 4

time was moving incredibly fast. too fast. blink twice and its already spring. everything is starting to look alive again, the trees are nice and green, flowers are growing on every piece of grass out there and the cherry blossoms are blooming. sure enough, flowers and cherry blossoms weren't the only things that were blossoming. so was haechans love for renjun. haechan was confused, all he wanted was to be renjuns friend but now that he was, it still felt like it wasn't enough. why did he feel like this? he wanted friendship and he succeeded in getting it but it still felt like something was missing. haechan didn't want to jump to the conclusion that he fell in love, but had to admit it did feel like it.

"renjun!" haechan yelled from afar, running towards him.

to them, it felt magical. their school was located alongside a lot of cherry blossom trees which bloomed at around this time of year. with every step they took, a flower petal fell. it was pretty. incredibly pretty. almost as pretty as renjun.. - is what haechan was thinking while running towards him.

renjun stopped and waited for haechan to catch up. the wind blew through his beautiful dual colored hair making him look even more unrealistically pretty. he was ethereal.

"you didnt have to run so fast.. one shout of my name and id stop to wait for you"

haechan looked like he was about to pass out from running so fast, maybe it was unnecessary for him to do that but something in him pulled him over to renjun like a magnet.

"ah.. sorry.. i" haechan tried to finish his sentence but his shortness of breath was stopping him.

"okay okay.. relax. let's just slowly walk over to the classroom from now on, okay?" renjun proposed.

"okay."

time was ticking awfully slow that day. it was the first day of spring but nonetheless it was insanely cold. like, awfully cold. to make it worse, none of the classrooms had heating and students were forced to sit in class in their coats. not like this was a recurring problem, heating usually worked. but for some reason it just didnt want to work for the first time in years. renjun didn't really mind the cold, but he could see haechan shivering behind him from the corner of his eye. renjun never knew what to do in this type of situation, he wanted to make haechan warm but at the same time he felt way too awkward to just walk over and give away his coat. suddenly he remembered he had warm tea in his backpack. he slowly and quietly reached out for the tumbler and passed it over to haechan.

"hey.. do you.. like jasmine tea by any chance? its warm, it'll warm you up a little an-"

"youre really giving me this?" haechans eyes sparkled like he was about to cry from joy.

"i saw you shivering a bit and i thought you might-" renjun was about to keep explaining himself for hours until he realized haechan wasnt even listening. he was just so happy that renjun thought about him that nothing else even mattered.

renjun couldn't stop himself from glaring at haechan's smiley face. he was just so endearing that he couldn't take his eyes off of him. sometimes, renjun would daydream about things. things he wouldn't tell anyone. ever since he and haechan became friends, he never had a moment where he wasn't thinking about him. haechan was so caring, attractive and.. perfect. yes he was annoying at times, but somehow that just added to his charms. it was crazy to even think that just a few months ago, he'd do anything to get rid of him. renjun knew what he was feeling. his heart was warm with love. he wouldn't dare to admit it though. he was sure he was nowhere good enough for haechan. even if haechan teased him, it was nothing but jokes. haechan saw renjun as a friend.

"hey renjun.. didnt you drink out of this? it was half empty when i started drinking" haechan asked in a giggly tone.

"isn't that basically an indirect kiss?"

shit. renjun didn't think that through.

"stop teasing me" renjun blushed.

"renjun"

"youre so cute."

renjun turned red and his heartbeat got progressively faster. sudden compliment attacks are definitely something he wasnt prepared for. he tucked his hair behind his ear all flustered nervously biting his lower lip.

"i-"

"class ended, want to go grab something to eat?"

just when renjun was about to speak haechan managed to cut him off again, but this time renjun was glad he didn't have to reply to what just happened.

"yeah!"

"hmm.. strawberries?" haechan asked with a bright smile

renjun didn't reply, he just showed haechan a smile and haechan got the hint.

they walked down the hallways to reach their little secret spot, well, not so secret. it was right next to the only vending machine in school. but nobody really visited this area anyway, so u could technically call it a secret spot.

"do u also like sitting here with me haechan?"

"i do"

"are the strawberries not getting old?"

"somehow.. when im with you nothing ever seems to get boring.. nor old"

after that, a long silence occured. nobody spoke for a good 30 seconds, they just stared into each others eyes like they were about to kiss.

haechan grabbed a strawberry and took a bite. shortly after, he unexpectedly turned the strawberry towards renjun.

"here. take a bite."

"didnt you just.."

they stared for a bit until renjun decided to take a bite out of the strawberry. he was confused but something about this interaction made his heart flutter.

"haechan.. your lips are the same pretty color as the strawberry.."

that was definitely a sentence renjun didn't mean to say out loud. he couldn't believe he kept embarassing himself the whole day.

"you.. look at my lips?"

it went silent again. the silence wasn't necessarily awkward. it felt like they were both in their own worlds, whipped for each other and deeply in love.

at this point renjun just didnt care what would happen next. he never felt so warm and cozy inside.. he wanted to cherish this moment forever. without thinking, he laid his head on haechans shoulder and grabbed his hand.

"can i hold your hand?"

"yes" haechan responded.

the floor they were sitting on all this whole time was cold, but their hearts were so warm they couldnt even feel it. haechan could feel renjun slowly falling asleep on his shoulder which made him sleepy too. he took off his coat and made it into a blanket for renjun. shortly after they both fell asleep. they didnt care about any of the classes, lessons, work. nothing mattered. in the moment it was just them, alone, together. in a small corner next to a school vending machine.

once they finally ended up waking up hours after their usual classes end, it was already evening and the last after school activities were wrapping up for the day. without saying much they parted ways and went home.

"what was that.." renjun couldn't stop thinking about what happened at school. the moment wasn't necessarily anything extraordinary, friends share food all the time but something about this specific situation felt oddly intimate. a part of him wishes he couldve just kissed haechan right there and then but he could never muster up the courage to make their lips meet.

suddenly his phone vibrated as he got a text message.

haechan~ ><
______________

"do you wanna go to the red velvet concert with me?? ill pay, take it as a treat ㅋㅋㅋ"