Chapter 5: Fear

Michikatsu was afraid. Really afraid. Therefore, it was imperative that he found answers to this question he had on mind.

He had promptly sneaked into Yoriichi's dwelling to find his brother, yet again, staring silently at him from the exact place Michikatsu found him yesterday- crouched in his futon.

"Brother," Michikatsu had a remorseful expression on his face, "I'm really sorry about yesterday. I should not have freaked you out like I did. I hope you find it in your good heart to forgive me."

To his relief, Yoriichi smiled at him and patted the empty space beside his futon, an invitation for Michikatsu to sit next to him. Michikatsu walked over and plopped himself next to Yoriichi's room, and surveyed it. It was a dark grey room, with no windows and no furniture save for the futon, a small wardrobe for his clothes and a small desk and cushion for Yoriichi to sit down on when he's doing work. It was a prison compared to Michikatsu's bright room filled with windows and curtains of all shapes and designs, piled with all his favourite toys and clothes. Michikatsu presently turned his attention to his brother, who was playing with that same, rickety bamboo flute Michikatsu had carved for him as a toy.

"How did you do it?"

Yoriichi looked back at him, confused.

"The sword fighting, how did you do it? As far as I have known, you never took any prior training from anybody. How were you able to attack at the precise points that would have injured sensei badly?"

Yoriichi considered this question for a while, then finally said, "I could see him."

Michikatsu was dumbfounded. "Well, I could see him too."

"No, as in, I could see through him."

"Huh?" Michikatsu checked his hearing to see if he had not heard wrong. "You could see through him?"

"Yes. At the moment of the battle, I took in a deep breath, a very deep breath, and I could see through sensei's skin and clothes- his skeletal structure, where he had his hands, what he was going to do with them, and when he was going to attack. In an instant, I knew when to jump, when to dodge, and where to attack. Don't you have this ability too?"

Michikatsu looked at Yoriichi and slowly shook his head.

"Ehh?" Yoriichi wondered out loud, and zoned out in thought.

This is terrible! Michikatsu thought to himself. This is awful!

Sensei had never shown up for training ever since Yoriichi ousted him a week ago. Michikatsu would often spend his mornings brooding silently in his futon. His father, after having been very suspicious of the sensei's lack of attendance, he had questioned the servants around who were eyewitnesses to the fight. Gossip was spreading quickly about the seemingly timid and weak child sibling of Michikatsu, and it may play against Michikatsu himself. 

Father had even stopped showering Michikatsu with as much affection and joy as he used to, and was slowly starting to talk to Yoriichi. Two days ago, when Michikatsu ran to his father to hug him after his tiring job, his father had only absent-mindedly patted his head and walked into his room to sleep. Yet, the same day, he smiled slightly at Yoriichi, who was as surprised himself for the difference in treatment.

The day the twins were born, Michikatsu's father had only agreed to keeping both twins on the condition that Yoriichi was sent to live in the temple practicing as a monk at the age of ten. 

What if Father decides that he has been training the wrong person all this while? Then I'll be the one in the temple, and Yoriichi will be the one swinging the sword! This is bad, this is really bad!

Presently, he heard a knock on his door. A man entered, his father. Immediately, Michikatsu got up and dusted his hakama.

"Father! What brings you in here?"

"Michi..." His father sighed and eased himself onto a nearby cushion, and fingered a small ornament which was right next to the cushion. Michikatsu recognized it, a small, red jewel known as a ruby, which was mined from the deepest of caves in Japan and hand-cut to produce its magnificent shine. Father had given it to him when he was only a baby, to symbolize success and a happy life.

"You know how your birthdays are coming up in two days?"

Michikatsu remembered. His birthday. Something he was fervently looking forward to only a week ago, something he had completely forgotten about the moment he got sucked into this hole of depression.

"Yes, our birthdays are coming up, father."

"Can I take this back?" Father held up the ruby, Michikatsu's most priced possession because it had been thoughtfully given to him by the man he loved the most.

Michikatsu's eyes widened in hurt. "Why? You gave it to me!"

Father sighed, "you see, the thing is, money has been really tight for us lately, ever since the crops stopped yielding as bountifully as they used to. I'm really sorry for doing this, but I have to sell it for more money."

Michikatsu narrowed his eyes. "But it is not yours to sell anyways! You gave it to me! Sell off your possessions if you want extra money!"

"Michi!" Father's tone dialed up a bit. Michikatsu immediately shut up in submission. "I am your father, and you must do as I say. I love you, and what I am doing is all for your best. May I take the ruby, or not?"

Michikatsu knew his father was adding the "not" just to challenge him. He nodded his head anyways.

"Thank you." Father's fingers clasped around the red jewel and he swiftly turned around and walked towards the exit. 

Yes, he's definitely starting to hate me...