Chapter 10: A world of mysteries

"Sorry, about the head", Michikatsu apologized to his saviour after she had navigated him out of the thick forests. He had thanked her immensely for getting him out of the scary situation with the demon. 

"No problem, you were terrified. I understand." The female replied. On close observation, Michikatsu came to the conclusion that this woman was probably in her mid-thirties. Along with her haori, she wore black hakama pants along with a pristine white obi. Engraved on it were the letters, 'Demon Slayer Corps'.

"Demon Slayer Corps?" Michikatsu questioned her.

"Ohh, this?" The lady passed her fingers gently over her obi and turned to face Michikatsu. "The demon slayer corps is a non-governmental organization whose sole purpose is to vanquish those we call demons, the heartless creatures whom eat their own kind."

Man-eating humans? Michikatsu thought to himself. He had never seen one up till now. "That creature you just killed, he was a demon?"

"Those slit-pupils gave it away," the female 'demon slayer' replied in assentment. Those blue eyes immediately surfaced up to Michikatsu's mind and sent shivers up his spine. 

"And you work for this organization?" Michikatsu asked again.

"Yes, I do." The female replied.

"Why?"

"My parents were eaten by demons."

"So you're driven by anger and vengeance."

"You could say so."

"Who are these demons? How did they come to be?"

"You are full of questions," The female grumbled slightly. Michikatsu returned her calm gaze with a fiery one, his eyes burning with curiosity. The female slayer relented and sighed.

"Long ago, a man had contracted some sort of illness. His illness was to such an extent that he could barely get up from his bed. He was due to die in a week. However, one kind doctor offered to heal him- on one condition. He could never stand directly underneath the sun's bountiful rays."

Michikatsu's eyes widened. "Why is that so?"

"If he were to disobey the doctor, he would instantly disintegrate. Perish into a pile of ash. Quite literally."

Michikatsu realized that the demon he had encountered had left the world in a similar manner.

"Child," the slayer walked up to him and gripped him hard by the shoulders. "There are only two ways you can kill a demon. One is by forcing him under the sun. The other, fully decapitating him with a specific type of sword. A Nichirin sword, to be specific."

Michikatsu considered the weight of the words she said. Only two ways to kill a demon...

And he did not have access to this special Nichirin blade, so he was only limited to one method.

"I have a way for you to obtain a Nichirin sword," the female slayer voiced out his thoughts perfectly. Michikatsu perked up and listened carefully.

"For that, you must join me." The female completed. Join her as a slayer?

"become a demon slayer like me, fight and kill demons for the sake of humanity. So that people like me do not have to see our loved ones die right in front of us. So that we can live everyday of our lives in reassurance of the sweet gift that is life. Join me, young Michikatsu, and save us from this darkness." The female slayer extended her hand out to Michikatsu in the form of an invitation. 

Do I have what it takes to kill someone? Can I really live out my life peacefully with someone else's blood on my hands, regardless of how ruthless he is?

Michikatsu's indecisive expression led to the female slayer enticing him even more. 

"Young Michikatsu, I have seen you from afar. Even though you were afraid, you tried to defend yourself with a stick. The way you held it flawlessly, with hand in place and your footing perfect- I could immediately see your immense potential and your valued asset to the corps. If you were to join us, you could immediately rise to the ranks and become the best swordsman in the Corps."

Words spoken long ago echoed in Michikatsu's mind.

"I will one day become the world's best swordsman!"

"Then I'll become the second best swordsman!"

Michikatsu was really tempted to join, if it meant besting Yoriichi. But he was really tired with this ongoing sibling feud. He had detached himself from that family. He never wanted to dwell on those bittersweet memories ever again. Especially after that impostor father...

"I really appreciate your sweet words of appreciation, Miss, but I am afraid I'll have to refuse."

The female's eyes widened in shock for an instant, then went back to their usual unfeeling stare. "Well, this is the first time I have been refused. Quite shocking."

Michikatsu chuckled slightly. "I am yet a boy, miss. I don't think I would want to bring upon the misfortune to slaying a life with my own hands. Even if it were a demon. Had you asked an older me, I would have readily agreed."

The female smiled slightly for the first time Michikatsu had seen her. It made her look like a stern, but caring mother. "Now that you put it that way, I would never want a child to bring himself upon that misfortune."

The female slayer reached into the folds of her haori to produce a piece of folder parchment. She handed it over to Michikatsu.

"Well, if you ever change your mind, this piece of paper has all the details you need to know- about the examination venue and dates."

The slayer's eyes softened for a moment, and she patted Michikatsu's head like a teacher would to a student. Michikatsu looked deep into her purple eyes. 

"When you do, I'll be waiting for you. The Dawn Hashira, Himawari Kanroji, will be eagerly waiting for you."