Chapter 6: Jealousy

The next day, Michikatsu was walking around the corridor of his house, when he saw something strange; Yoriichi talking to father in the opposite corridor, quite far away. Michikatsu found a nearby pillar and hid behind, observing this unorthodox exchange intently. 

The two were rigidly facing each other, and were barely smiling, but they were having an engaging conversation. Suddenly, father asked for Yoriichi's hand, which Yoriichi gave to him. Father then tied something around Yoriichi's wrist. 

Funny, normally Father would scowl at Yoriichi's direction every time they crossed paths. Now, he's giving him something?

When Yoriichi extracted his hand from his father's, Michikatsu caught a glint of red on his wrist.

No, could it be...

When Yoriichi moved his hands to the side of his body, Michikatsu could clearly see what was on his brother's wrist- a red gemstone, a ruby, tied to the wrist; the exact same gemstone Michikatsu owned in fact, the only gem the entire family owned. 

"Mother is dead

"Mother is dead."

The sentence was simple and short. Yoriichi cut right to the chase.

"Ehh?" Michikatsu took some time to register this news. How? She seemed healthy only a few weeks ago?

Yoriichi was sitting on Michikatsu's futon in his room. He had knocked onto Michikatsu's door and asked for temporary respite in there. There were silent tears glistening in his eyes, but his face looked dead serious. Almost serene, as though he refused to cry. Michikatsu, on the other hand, had no obligation to hold his tears. 

He sat there in his comfortable room, crying and yelling his little voice out until it became hoarse. Mother is dead? How? Why? I barely spent time with her, not with me running to my father's side every time he came back home.

Talking about his mother, he did not really see her standing by the front porch, observing him practicing with his teacher for about a month. Nor did he really see her during mealtimes. The servants around him usually told her she had retired early to bed. Was she masking this from me? Did father know about this? Was he also hiding it from me?

Yoriichi held his brother for some while until Michikatsu calmed down a bit. He wiped his tears away and settled down. 

"I don't really know what to do now, without her..." Michikatsu whispered. 

Yoriichi nodded, his face now pensive. He opened his mouth once, then thought better of saying anything. But it was too late, Michikatsu noticed Yoriichi struggling to get those words out of his mouth. Michikatsu cocked his head in curiosity. 

Yoriichi finally relented and took in a deep breath before speaking.

"I plan on leaving for the shrine tonight"

Michikatsu was shocked. "What?"

Yoriichi nodded slowly. "I haven't been blind to not have noticed the development that has taken place in this house ever since my little stunt with your sensei. Father's starting to second-doubt whether he did something wrong with us during birth."