Chapter Seven - Dead Man Walking

Nevermore Academy - New England

Held within the highest tower of Nevermore Academy, Principal Weems housed her office. A very large room for a very large woman. Dotted around the room were various plaques and trophies documenting her many achievements.

Weems had decorated her office with busts and statues of those that led the school before her, using them as inspiration. It was hard to overlook the giant gorgon statue atop the fireplace and the stuffed bear by the door. The woman herself was sitting on a comfy, leather chair placed behind a giant mahogany desk. She was typing away on a mac book as the other occupants of the room concluded their heated argument.

Y/N and his newfound girlfriend, Wednesday, were battling it out over the missing body of one Rowan Laslow with Sheriff Galpin. The police captain had earlier taken a team out to the woods in search of the so-called 'crime scene' only to find dirt, trees and leaves.

"How could you miss a dead body?" Wednesday was saying angrily, storming up to the Sheriff.

"'cause it wasn't there," the grumpy man raised his voice. "No footprints. No blood. No sign of a struggle. Nothing. Nada."

"Look again," Y/N ordered, not in the mood to joke around at the moment.

"My search party looked all night!" Sheriff Galpin snapped.

"Well, your search party must've left their seeing-eye dogs at home," Wednesday fired back. "We saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of us."

"Get a good look at this monster thing?"

"We were too worried about getting the fuck out of there to worry about drawing a caricature of it," Y/N spat.

"Maybe it was one of your classmates," he spat right back.

"Sheriff, I find that question offensive," Weems inserted herself into the mix.

"Do I look like I care? I got four other dead bodies in the morgue with the exact same description as you've provided! Hikers just ripped apart..." The man turned to focus on Y/N. "You should know... your mother's one of 'em."

Wednesday grew unnaturally angry at the Sheriff's response. In what world did the Sheriff think he could say something like that and get away unscathed? However, her hatred was quickly drowned out when she felt a warm, soft hand take her own.

"Actually, I wouldn't," Y/N said unnaturally calmly. "Because I was never involved in the investigation. Or any of the details of her death..."

"Why would I give you a confidential police document?"

"Because I was involved!" Y/N angrily screamed.

There was a moment of silence as all present processed Y/N's flash of anger. The Sheriff gritted his teeth and scowled, pointing a shaky finger at the boy.

"Raise your voice at me again, son," he said in a calm voice that hid a storm. "And I could have you behind bars in an instant."

"You will do no such thing," Principal Weems interjected. "Y/N is under my roof and as long as he continues to be, what I say goes. You have no authority here, Sheriff."