16. Expectations

The guy at the counter raises his eyebrows when I enter the café, eyeing me from head to toe.

"It probably looks weird to him, seeing me in a beach outfit here." I whisper to Ren, running my hands down the cover-up.

"Or he thinks you look pretty." He says with a wink, "You sure your friends don't suspect anything."

"Yeah," I say as we sit at a booth at the corner. He sits beside me. "I told them I had to go out with my aunt." I shrug, "Plus I want to know about your tryouts. I did tell coach that you're amazing at football."

Kate had planned that the five of us would go to a restaurant and then go back to Liam's party. But I certainly wasn't in the mood. After three hours at the pool, they went somewhere else and I came here with Ren.

He runs a hand through his hair and smirks at me, "I got to say, it's pretty awesome that you're so dedicated to this." He says, "Even though it's been what, three days since the tryouts? Yeah."

"I don't like seeing you hurt." The words leave my mouth before I can stop them. Worried I'd crossed a line, I glance at Ren.

"You'd really do all this for me?" he asks, stunned.

"Yeah, I would. I am." I reply, looking towards the window.

"You're something else, Gina."

"A good something else I hope."

"So far, I'd say yeah." He nods and I laugh at that. Then I hope for the coming time.

Ren glances at the café door then turns to me. He places his arm on the backrest right behind me, causing my pulse to quicken.

"I want to say thanks."

Now it's my turn to be stunned, "What for?"

"You know; convincing me to try out for the team, partnering with me for the project, oh the list goes on." He chuckles, "And for inviting me today."

"Formalities," I say teasingly, "Anytime honestly. Also today was worth it. The look on Mandy's face, and I never thought I'd see you dive from that height."

"It's been surprisingly fun." He remarks with a grin, "But don't let Kate hear that."

"I won't."

"Wouldn't want to tarnish your reputation." He says.

"What else does a girl like me have?" I wish I had him though, I think wistfully, wonder if that will ever happen.

I smile at him, noticing how close he is. His hand hesitates next to my shoulder before playfully punching it, making me smile even more. Suddenly the waitress comes at our booth. The two of us look up to face her but Ren smirks and leaves his arm against the backrest. The girl glances from me, to Ren and then back at me.

"Uh, I didn't interrupt anything, right?" she inquires, staring.

Yes, you interrupted our moment. Why is she here now when she should've come right after we took our seats?

"I guess not," Ren sighs, pulling his arm back to my disappointment. "Doesn't matter anymore."

I do my best not to scowl at the waitress as she says, "What can I get you?"

"A green juice," I say, examining my perfect cuticles.

"Disculpe?"

I look up to see Ren staring at me, "A green juice?" he repeats in disbelief,