chapter 4

The next morning, at sunrise, my alarm went off. I groaned, stretching under the covers. Humming to myself, i sat up. "I had the oddest dream." i shook my head and smelt coffee. "Odd, did i leave the dregs on the counter last night?" I stood, leaving my bed to be made later. I walked into the kitchen and stiffened on the spot.

"Coffee, sleepyhead?" a chipper voice greeted me.

Without a word, i turned around and walked into the bathroom and locked it. I yanked a towel off the shelf and screamed into it. Breathing heavily, i put the towel on the vanity and leaned over the sink. Fuck. so it wasnt a dream? Or... and i still asleep? I shook my head and combed my hair, then walked back out into the kitchen.

"Morning." i tried to act nonchalant.

Sonic looked a tad worried, but Shadow sat at the counter with a coffee in hand and a shit-eating smirk on his face. "Rough morning?" his red eyes held an amused glint.

"What would make you think that?" i said flatly, taking the mug sonic handed me with a small smile. "It's 7:30 AM. How long have you two been up?"

"Six." shadow said, taking a sip from his mug.

"Couldn't sleep," sonic admitted, but shrugged it off as if was no big deal. "we have a big day today!"

I eyed the blue-haired man. "About that–" i started.

Sonic waved me off, though. "I know, I know. It's no biggie. Let's just try to see if we find anyone first."

I glanced at shadow, but he offered nothing as he reminded unreadable. "Right then," i sighed, pouring myself some coffee. "If you dont mind me asking... where are yall from?"

"Green Hills" sonic answered, leaning over the counter to get an apple from the fruit bowl. I furrowed my brows at him and glance at shadow, but still nothing. "A different Green Hills. It's on a planet called Mobius."

"Sonic–" shadow spoke up in a warning tone and shook his head at him.

"What?" he shrugged, not catching the implication.

"So... youre aliens?" i deadpanned with a nervous laugh. Of course, they were. Surely, hes joking...

Shadow gestured towards me as if to say 'see, what happened.' "You need to be more selective with your words," he lectured the other.

"You're not denying it...," i directed more towards shadow, who i felt was a tad more believable or trustworthy with the things he said.

My shoulders dropped when he didnt respond. Of course! "Are you even human?" i asked, my voice going a tad high.

The two men exchanged looks. "No?" sonic responded hesitantly.

I cupped my face in my hands, defeatedly. "So... what are you then?"

"Hedgehogs?"

You've got to be kidding me! I pictured a hedgehog in my mind and imagined these two actually being two tiny brown rodents that could travel through space and time was ridiculous! Maybe i'm back at the hospital in a coma...

"Cute..." i groaned to myself. "I always wanted a pet hedgehog..." which was true, but here, i meant it sarcastically.

Sonic laughed nervously, "sorry."

I shook my head. "No, dont be. It's fine." it wasnt. I stood from my seat. "Right then... im gonna go get ready, then we can leave. Do yall shower?" i cringed at the question.

"Mornings."

"I took one last night," sonic said.

I supposed that was a yes then. Thank the gods. "Right. Mind if i take one first, red?"