CHAPTER 36

Cheng Xing stared down at the body. A body of a child lying on the table. He closed his eyes, blinking away tears and emotion alike.

Li Ming stood at the doorway as Cheng Xing looked at the body, the cool light of the fluorescent lights above shining down. The small figure lay perfectly still on the table, lacking any of the energy they may have had before. Lips blue and rigor mortis stiffened limbs.

Li Ming, Cheng Xing, Wen Zhang was sitting at a table with a whiteboard in front of them, discussing the child's death. Cheng Xing felt sick, and it showed in the paleness of his face.

Li Ming notices his discomfort and abruptly stops talking. The assassin doesn't even notice, staring at the desk and clenching his fists.

"Cheng Xing."

Cheng Xing breaks from his thoughts and looks at Li Ming and then around the room at the other policeman. Xiao Mei looks at him, arms crossed in front of her.

"All good?"

Cheng Xing flashes a quick smile. "I'm fine."

Li Ming turns back to the board and Cheng Xing's smile fades.

"Their body was found by the river. Any sign of blood was already washed away by then, so they were probably pushed downstream by the curre-"

Cheng Xing slammed his hand on the table, got up and left. Everyone watched as he left.

Cheng Xing walked towards the bathrooms. Making sure no one else was in there, he stood in front of the mirror, takes the phone from his pocket and calls Fen Yuhang.

"Hey, what's up?"

Cheng Xing looks around the bathroom.

"If you have the chance keep an eye on Ping Heng and Da Qiang. Report if they had a mission lately and what it was."

Li Ming walks up to the door to hear Cheng Xing's muffled voice. Li Ming leans into the door. Having heard his partner's soft footsteps, the assassin looks towards the door and says, "I'm hanging up."

Cheng Xing walks over to the door and opens it, seeing Li Ming standing in front of it.

"What are you doing?"

"I was worried- you left the table so suddenly."

Cheng Xing smiles, dark eyes hard and cold. "I just needed to go to the restroom."

Cheng Xing brushes past Li Ming. Li Ming grabs Cheng Xing's hand. He turns around and rolled his eyes as he looks up at Li Ming with all seriousness. Cheng Xing brushes Li Ming's hand off and walked past him.

Cheng Xing sits at his desk looking blankly at his laptop.

"Cheng Xing are you coming with us tonight?" Wen Zhang asks from behind him.

"Where?"

"Li Ming and a couple friends are heading to get a drink. Wanna join us?"

Cheng Xing looks up at Wen Zhang and thinks. Wen Zhang merely waits, a patient smile on his face.

"Ok, I'll join."