Chapter 40

Dexter woke up to someone caressing his face. Fluttering his eyelids open, his gaze landed on a figure just beside the bed. His eyesight cleared and he saw it to be Maya. She had been sitting down beside the bed, all dressed. The worried expression she had on dissolved when she saw he was awake.

   "Hey..." he started to say but a fit of cough took over, his entire chest feeling like it had been stomped over by a horse. He groaned, rubbing against it.

  "Careful, careful." Maya said soothingly, rushing to assist him. Gritting his teeth, he let out a low groan before managing to sit up straight. Taking in a deep breath, he let out a sigh. "Thank you."

   "How do you feel?" Maya asked, placing a hand on his forehead.

  "My entire body aches but I'm fine." He replied.

   She smiled. "You'll get better." She said gently.

  Dexter carefully regarded her. Although she looked fine, the paleness of her skin and eye bags under her eyes told him a different story. "Did you get any sleep?" He blurted out, a brow raised.

    Maya stiffened, staring at him. How could he still be concerned for her when he was the one who got poisoned? "No."

   "Why?"

   Maya shook her head, picking up a tray that he suddenly noticed was at the side of the bed. "I couldn't, I was watching over you throughout the night." She stopped so she could give him a tray, with a bowl of soup on top. "Here, have some soup. Eat it while It's still warm." She picked up the spoon and after taking a sip from it, scooped up it's contents and pressed it close to his mouth. "It's filled with restorative herbs. It will renew your strength."

   It smelled nice but he wasn't able to taste anything when put it in his mouth.

   "You probably won't taste anything. It's alright, just keep eating." She said and he raised a brow. How did she know?

   "I can feed myself." He stated lowly.

   "I know, I just want to feed you." She replied, taking the spoon closer to his mouth. He frowned and Maya chuckled when she saw it, her eyes lighting up. Letting out a sigh of surrender, he let her feed him. It kept on like that till he finished the bowl of soup. Next, were the medicines  medicines which he took quietly.

   "The doctor would be here soon, okay?" She sat beside him once again. "He told me yesterday that you narrowly escaped death but your body has been greatly weakened as a result. You'll recover anyway, so it's nothing to worry about."

   " You saved my life once again." He began quietly, staring at her. Though her cheeks flushed, her eyes grew bleaker.

   "I wouldn't say that. I feel like I put you in danger." She muttered quietly.

   "Nonsense, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your quick thinking." He chided her, then held her hands. Sincere eyes held hers. "Thank you Maya... For everything."

    The sincerity in his voice caused her eyes to water. Her lips trembling, she whispered to him. "You're going to make me cry."

    He cleaned off her tears with his thumb, a side of his lips twitching." Please don't. You already cried for me yesterday." She kissed his palm, closing her eyes.

    A knock came on the door, interrupting the somber air between them. "Come inside." Maya called out, still holding his hands.

  The doctor arrived and after paying his respects began to check up on the king. Maya stepped out of his way so he could do his job comfortably. "He's out of danger now, your majesty. We should just focus on recovery now." He told Maya after his check up.