IX. forever is the sweetest con

NINE

NINE.   forever is the sweetest con

      The blissfulness that had entered her life was gone and all McKenna felt was dread

      The blissfulness that had entered her life was gone and all McKenna felt was dread. She hardly slept as she was flooded with anxiety. Failing a mission was the number one mistake at the Commission. Those who failed their missions usually never saw the light of day again. She wasn't looking forward to how the day was going to go.

Walking into work that morning felt like a nightmare. She was shaking uncontrollably, her adrenaline high, and she felt nauseous. She imagined The Handler and board already knew of her fail.

"Good Morning."

McKenna flinched. She turned around and Five stood there smiling at her. "Good morning." She responded, her smile wavering.

"How did the mission go?"

"Uh. . ." More nervous bubbled in her stomach. "We'll talk about it later. How was your night without me?  Burn your place down?" She changed the subject swiftly.

Five laughed. "I can survive with you, y'know?"

She hummed. "That's not how you acted—"

He subtly pinched her side. "Not here." He muttered close to her ear.

She chucked. "I knew that would get you. "Did you miss me enough to come over again later?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." He replied and she slowly felt herself calm down.

"McKenna!"

Her nerves shot up again. The Handler approached the pair with a large counterfeit smile. McKenna felt sick once more. "Good morning," She greeted and tried her best not to sound nervous.

"I hate to pull you two apart but Five, I need to speak with McKenna."

Five nodded. "Of course." He smiled at her. "I'll come find you later."

Not feeling like she could say any words, McKenna gave him a small smile and watched him walked away.  She was silently screaming at him in her head for him to not leave her.