XIII. there's an ache in you put there by the ache in me

THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN.   there's an ache in you put there by the ache in me

      When Five walked into his childhood bedroom, McKenna stood in the middle with her back towards him, like she was waiting for him

      When Five walked into his childhood bedroom, McKenna stood in the middle with her back towards him, like she was waiting for him. At the sound of his shoes on the floor, she turned around, and his stomach twisted into painful knots. She was younger but she was still the same. The same long brown hair and glistening eyes. The same freckled face and long eyelashes. "Hi." She spoke first, her nerves evident and clear.

"Hi," Five said back, unsure of himself. He walked to his closet and opened it to see all his uniforms. They were all exactly the same. "Ah, shit."

"I can't believe you're here."

He kept his back to her. "The feeling's mutual. I was sure I would never see you again." He spoke blankly.

McKenna was hurt by his words.

He pulled out one of his uniform and turned around, seeing her still staring at him. He twirled his finger around. "Do you mind facing the other way?"

Blinking, she turned around and faced the wall. She heard the shuffling of him changing his clothes. "I-I don't know what to say. . ."

"I'm not sure there's anything to say."

McKenna frowned. "You're angry." She stated.

"Of course I'm angry, McKenna. Why wouldn't I be angry?" His voice darkened slightly.

She nodded, trying to keep calm. "You have a right to be angry."

Five paused putting on the uniform shirt. "I've been angry for a long time. Too long, actually." He said with a sigh.

McKenna could feel tears threatening to form. "I didn't think I would ever see you again." Her voice wavered. Five didn't answer and it was dead silent. She looked over her shoulder and saw him examining himself now dressed in his uniform. It fit him to a T and that's what hurt him. "I always wondered what you looked like at this age."