chapter three

This is over. She'll despise me once she realizes I'm a devil. Just like those obnoxious, ungrateful humans. I don't want to see those disgusted-looking eyes again. I hate it. I hate this.

"Angel?" The devil's vermilion-red hair jumped when he heard your gentle voice calling his name again. He slowly turned around, clutching his gifts tightly in his arms. His eyes widened as he noticed you only a few feet away, smiling warmly at him.

"Wow! An actual angel. A beautiful guardian angel! Hi! I'm—"

"Stop!" Angel exclaimed, stopping you from approaching him. "Don't come near me."

"Why? I won't hurt you."

"You won't, but I might."

"Huh? I don't understand."

"I'm a devil... An angel devil, to be exact, and I'm not who you believe I am."

Shrugging your shoulders, you replied. "Oh. I don't mind."

Your response surprised the Angel Devil, "Are you not scared?"

"How can I be when you're nicer than any human I've ever met?"

"Oh. I am not nice."

"Eh? You helped a stranger like me... I think you're nice."

Angel sighed, frustrated. Clearly, you will not forgo the argument. "Look, I may appear human to you, but I can kill you with a single touch," he says.

"...But you won't, right?"

Shock crossed his face as he stared at you. You gave him another smile... Why does her smile feel so warm? She doesn't hate me? She's not afraid of me?

"I—I won't" He replied, still in a daze.

"Good! Then from now on, we're friends! I mean if it's okay with you?"

"But humans hate devils like me."

"Why would I hate the only person—err devil who helped me when I needed it the most?"

"But—"

"Please? I also want to repay your kindness."

Angel stared at you for a while then shut his eyes, thinking about your offer. Why can't I say no to her? "Fine."

"Yes! Thank you, Thank you! This means a lot to me," You clapped your hands and bowed. "I'm y/n, l/n. What's your name, Angel?"

"Angel."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"I've been calling you my angel the entire time, and your name is truly Angel. Wow! It's as if I knew you before I met you."

Angel tilted his head to the side, "You're a weird creature."

You chuckled at his choice of words. "Yes, yes, I am."

Silence filled the air and Angel found himself staring at you. He quickly averted his gaze and cleared his throat. "Uhm—This is for you," he said as he extended his hands to show the gifts. He then looked down to see what he got for you. "Since winter is nearly here, I noticed that your clothes were quite thin, so I asked my friend to buy a scarf and a pair of gloves... There's also a bottle of perfume here..." He paused and returned his gaze to you. He noticed that your eyebrows rose in surprise. "I didn't mean that you smelled bad! I just—I just thought that because you like flowers..." He paused and shook his head. "...and there's sweet bread here from our favorite pastry shop."

You looked at him, mesmerized and happy... Too happy because this is the first time you have felt that someone is thinking of you. He's even aware that I enjoy flowers.