Chapter 11

I mean, dessert turns out to be nice. I didn't protest when Luqman paid for a slice of red velvet cake and a tasty green tea milkshake, but I couldn't focus for the couple of hours when we were in the cafe. I kept on texting updates to Ikhwan, and I'm still giving him fast rants now as Luqman's car approach the parking lot of his condo.

The sun is setting outside, casting striking orange shades to the tall residential buildings around this area. Luqman's condo is a few minutes away from the main Cheras town, situated along a hilly road among many other low housing areas neighbouring it. Apparently, we've been talking for hours in the café, and I've zoned out so much that Luqman noticed.

"We're here," he says. "You can rest for a while as we wait for dinner. You look tired, to be honest."

I don't even care to deny it, because this game we're playing starts to wane me out. Luqman, on the other hand, still looks like he's playing the part perfectly well. "It's quite a long day."

"Yeah ... hey, sorry for dragging you around."

"No problem, dude," I tell him. "It's quite fun, so no worries."

He turns to me and grins, his hand reaching out to pat me again. He has a thing with the patting ... I guess that's the only physical contact he can put up giving me.

I think I'm going to show him more. Push him on the edge just to make him regret it.

I take slow deep breaths to calm myself down. This is it; it's really happening. Arriving at Luqman's house is the peak that I can only think of before this game's over. As we take the elevator, I try to think of appropriate reactions, words to say, and how to get out of this situation fast.

"Buddy ... you sure you're alright?" Luqman asks me.

"Uh ... yeah, well—do I really look that tired?"

"You look like you're concerned about something," Luqman says. "If you're not comfortable, I can send you back to your place—"

"Hey ... don't worry," I tell him. In no way I'm going to back down today empty handed. Or worse, having to still engage in this stupid tournament that is solely to stroke Luqman Tajuddin's ego. Somebody has to learn a lesson tonight.

I help carry some of his stuff out when we arrive at the tenth floor where Luqman's unit is at. When we're at the door, he hands me his access card so I can enter first as he needs to rearrange some shoes in the vestibule area. I scan the card at the door, push the door open, step in the threshold, and accidentally kick a deflated blue balloon at my feet.

I eye the floor and notice golden confetti pieces and a few more of the balloons. My heart paces up exponentially and I hastily reach for my phone.

They're setting up something. Luqman is making an event out of this.

"Fuck ... sorry," Luqman curses behind me as he enters his house. "It's quite a mess. These are from Kayla's birthday party last weekend."

I approach the nearby table for four in between the living room and the small kitchen. My eyes dart around the house, which has an interior consisting of dark brown and black colours. It's quite spacious considering Luqman's renting it for himself. Ahead is the living room that has a brown L-sofa by the window facing a TV. The room cools down, as if the air conditioner automatically opens in our presence.

I end up placing Luqman's stuff on the kitchen counter. "Kayla?" I ask.

"Yeah, my youngest sister." Luqman murmurs and walks to the refrigerator, loading some of the frozen items he bought. "My mom and I celebrated it here."

I don't remember ever knowing that Luqman has a younger sister. As far as I know from Shafiq, he's an only child. I do know that his parents had a rocky relationship, and I only know them through word of mouth. I don't press on to ask because I think that's besides the matter right now.