Chapter 13

Luqman ends up choosing a mamak stall so we can eat and talk our matters out at the same time. I'm usually a fan of mamak stalls for breakfasts—egg paratha, ghee dosa, and hot teh tarik are usually common during the start of the day. But Luqman seems to be a fan of nasi kandar too, so he basically enjoys munching on his gigantic plate of meal while Shafiq eats a plate of rice with some vegetables and fried chicken. He eyes on Luqman beside me most of the time, but Luqman is too hungry to notice. I gulp my fresh orange juice and focus on finishing my fried instant noodles.

Elena idly divides her attention between us and her phone, not so adamant on wanting answers like Shafiq does. I feel as Luqman tense up beside me once he finishes with his meal.

But Shafiq shoots a glare at me first. "So ... if I remember correctly, you said that whatever happened is not like what I think." I roll my eyes at his theatrics because they're really ridiculous. Luqman, on the other hand, goes quiet like he's actually intimidated by Shafiq.

"Okay ... uh ... we just ... hangout," I say. "Nothing more than that."

"Just a hangout?" Shafiq inquires. "You said you were going out on a date!"

Luqman chuckles and I see him looking down like a buffoon again.

"I don't want to make a fuss about it, so I lied," I tell Shafiq.

"So why do you need to lie about going out with Minho, dude?" Shafiq asks. "He's our friend too, Adam. If you feel the need to hide it, I'd be suspicious because I don't want him to do anything bad to you."

"Hey!" Luqman starts. "I ... uh, I don't think I did anything that Adam didn't want, though. I made sure both of our interests were ... mutual, and it seems like it yesterday."

"Luq!" I yell. "What the fuck?"

Shafiq cocks an eyebrow at me, while Elena giggles and squeals. I feel my whole system overheating.

"So ... it is exactly what I think it is, then," Shafiq says.

"I swear to God, Shafiq ... if I tell you that there's nothing you should worry about, then there's literally nothing to worry about," I say.

Shafiq sneers and leans back in his seat. He pauses for awhile before shooting a look at Luqman next. "You were being safe, weren't you Minho?"

Luqman nods and grins, as if he's already gotten Shafiq's blessing over going out with me or something. I feel myself protesting against his reactions, but unsure how to voice it out.

"Then that's good," Shafiq says, and both of them laugh to this exchange. I grunt and look away, finishing my OJ as a way to distract myself from this tomfoolery.

But then Shafiq adds on again, "How long have you liked Adam before?"

"Shafiq!" I yelp, groaning really hard hearing such ridiculous question. Not only that it's embarrassing, but I'm not sure if Luqman is even comfortable to talk about his gay escapades on blast.

"Since we were in school, dude," Luqman says nonchalantly like it's a random fact that he's ready to share with almost anyone. "I think I've never liked anyone else like that."

The hotness returns to burn inside all of my face. I can't even look at anyone in the eye anymore—in fact, when I catch Elena's gaze, her eyes are filled with excitement, and I notice her pale skin reddening too. She's always a victim of catching second-hand embarrassment on my behalf. Poor girl.

"See?" Shafiq turns to me. "You never listen, Dam. You just don't." I can't find any words to speak, because right now it seems like I'm starting to believe that Luqman is being nonsense again, like I'm back to square one believing everything that comes from him to be a trick.