[ C H A P T E R O N E ]

Detective Shirley Elizabeth Leroy adjusted her  dark aviator glasses as she walked into the precinct. Three police officers were at the reception desk, obviously busy as they were receiving emergency calls which came every one to five minutes.The station house was buzzing with cops dragging in offenders for detention.  She waved at a couple of cops she had worked with previously before walking into the office space where officers, detectives  and the police administrative staff worked in. She dropped her coffee cup on her desk,  took off her aviators and sighed as she remembered she had something to do...

She needed to report to the police chief to let him know she had completed her next assignment and to be briefed on her next case before she'd head back to her apartment. 

A young, white, male officer, sporting a smile and folded arms, stood by her cubicle following her every move as she made her approach.

"Hey, Ernie," she said in a manner of greeting to Officer Ernest Darcy Black, her friend, and next door neighbor.

"Hey Shirley" Ernie stood straight giving her a mock salute."How's it going detective Leroy" 

"How bout I whip your ass Darcy and see if you gonna like that white boy" she growled making Ernie laugh then stop when he saw the look of righteous anger on her fac. It was all a farce though. Both had been playing this game ever since Shirley had been promoted to a detective. 

"Nah I'll pass and Shirley? You might wanna check in with the chief, heard he's wants you so badly" Ernie teased again.

"Eww Ernie that's gross!"

"Yeah whatever Church girl." He teased her then turned serious "But for real Shirley he wants to see ya" he turned only to see that Shirley was already moving toward the chief's office.

"A'ight Darcy but I already knew that and mind your business kid!" she yelled causing the other cops to give her an amused look.

Walking into a hallway that had doors lined up on each side, she stopped when she got to her destination. Shirley knocks on a wooden brown door that had 'Martin E. Wilkinson' tapped on top to let everyone know it's owner. She paused as she waited for Wilkinson to call her in.

He didn't disappoint.

"Come in Leroy" A gruff voice called from the inside.

Shirley pushed open the doors and stepped into the chief's office.

A potbelied, bald, bespectacled, overweight white man in his mid sixties wore a frown, his Salt and pepper mustache twitch with annoyance of being disturbed making Shirley wonder if Wilkinson had really summoned her.

Chief Wilkinson would have pulled off a very handsome and happy grandfather look if it wasn't for the permanent frown etched to his face whenever he saw her. And Shirley would swear the old bat had it out for her.

"Leroy Sit" He ordered motioning her to the chair opposite his and Shirley knowing better, plonked her ass to the chair.

"There's a meth lab downtown Sully, a Mexican Cartel runs it and they've got runners supplying to the kids at the local High school. I need you and O'Reilly to handle it and get me whatever bastards running the business, you've got forty eight hours Leroy and it's starts now, now move get me those criminals the mayor's up for reelection and I don't need him bugging me" He spat the last line out just like he does whenever Mayor Clinton Browning's name came up.

"Chief you know I don't roll with Par'ners so i'mma pass on this O'Reilly dude whoever that guy is"  Shirley protested.

Wilkinson knew this was coming but he was well prepared for Shirley "O'Reilly's your partner Leroy and that's final, you either  go with him or kiss this assignment goodbye. Now any complaints?" Wilkinson baited knowing how much Shirley wanted the assignment.

Shirley felt her jaw tick in anger and irritants  "No Sir" she drawled out sarcastically but Wilkinson ignored her knowing he had won the round.

"Good go get me those drug dealers and I might consider giving you that private office you've been yapping on about.

" Sir yes sir " Shirley grumbled giving him a mock salute as she felt him relishing on his temporary victory.

" Now get your ass outta here"

                           ❄️-❄️

Sam O'Reilly stuffed his mouth with a chocolate-sprinkled donut while leaning on an old, brown bronc, casting a weary glance on the fast approaching female heading his way. The same female detective dubbed 'Super Cop' by the press due to her legendary ability to handle every precinct's assignment like any fifth grader could recite their ABCs.

To be honest O' Reilly was intimidated but there was no way in hell he was gonna make it easy for the kid. She was yet to prove herself to him.

He took a greedy bite from the donut "You're late kid" he huffed showing his dislike for tardiness.

" I ain't, It's just you're early" Shirley said to the Daniel Craig look alike.

"Narcissistic bitch." Sam muttered in anger.

'These kids these days had it easy' O'Reilly mused. They had cases handed easily to them making it easier to get to the top while the real men like him fought hard to get where they were, handling from one  shitty case to another.

Shirley heard him loud and clear and for the life of her she felt her anger rise at the judgemental look in his eyes.

"Listen O'Reilly, I've been a detective for the last coupla years now and one damn thing i don't like is y'all lookin' down on my ass like I'm worth nothin' 'specially when I do a much better job than y'all combined a'ight, I don't like you and fact is I don't do well with par'ners cos y'all a pain in the ass, now what I expect ya ass to do is find a damn way to git along with me or you stay outta my way, cos i'mma do this with or without you ass, am I fuckin' clear?"

"Great and she's mouthy too, tell me Leroy how's a white girl like ya talkin' like a..."

"Like a negro? was that what you was bout to say!" Shirley spat "Newsflash you bad mouth my people and I gonna make sure your ass die down that meth lab and ain't nobody gon save ya."

O'Reilly was impressed, Leroy was as savage as they came "Hey chill Leroy, didn't know you ass is this sensitive. I was just messing with ya." He took a bite from another donut as Shirley made her way toward the passenger side of the truck.

"But seriously kid, I ain't seen a white girl named Shirley Leroy, it's hilarious" O'Reilly started the truck.

"Tell that to my mama and O'Reilly? Shut up and drive"

———

Shirley's savage, a true daughter of her mama.