Chapter 4

The works soon repaired Henry's cylinder and valve gear later that week. They also took away the beard he had grown out over the past two weeks. Henry did feel freshened up a bit and the pain was all gone in his cylinders. But he wasn't allowed to head back to work until he was fully tested, he had to move up and down a section of track whilst inspectors examined, Victor also watched closely too, making sure the green engine did not go out of his sight.

Henry huffed indignantly, he was impatient and wanted to get back to work. "I'm fine," he protested, "the works don't need me here any longer."

"Not until the chief engineer says you're allowed to go," said Victor sternly, "and the other engines are doing just fine on their own, with Bear out of the works, that new engine Samuel arriving, and not to mention the visitor arriving this morning as well. Trust me, Henry, they are fine, we need to make sure you are too."

Rolling his eyes, Henry reversed backward, over the transfer table and back into the workshops. He stopped inside and the inspector got down along with the green engine's own crew. "I'd say he's good to go," said the inspector, writing a few notes on his board, "I'll just need to do some papers with the chief and he'll be good to go in the evening."

He then walked briskly away, Henry groaned, this meant he'd had to stay here for the rest of the day, when he so clearly can get back to work and show this new... Samuel a thing or two about how he was still capable. But no, he was stuck here, waiting for men to write a few pieces of paper down.

A few minutes later, there was a peep of a whistle and a tank engine with an odd wheel arrangement came in, he looked similar to George, but with more standardise features, he was L&YR Class 5 with brown paint familiar to the LBSC chocolate livery, with the number 22 on his side. The newest addition to the fleet, well... was until Samuel had arrived.

"Daniel!" called Victor cheerfully, "welcome friend! I heard you need a part replaced?"

"It's just the safety valve, thank you, Victor," Daniel replied, "then I can head back to Cronk."

"What's with you?" called Henry, who sat close by and saw the disgruntled look on the brown engine's face.

"It's something Matthew said to me," said Daniel, "about this engine."

"That B1?" said Henry, "I knew he was funny when I saw him, he looks off."

"No, no," said Daniel, "Samuel has been fine, quiet, but works hard. But the visitor... Matthew saw him come by this morning and said he's an engine that should not be here."

Henry raised an eyebrow. "What does he mean by that?" he said.

"I have no idea," said Daniel. "but Matthew seems very annoyed about it. Best you see for yourself when you get back to Tidmouth."

After that, Daniel said no more, leaving Henry puzzled, he wondered who this visitor was. Stephen did say this visitor was from the past. Could it be an engine from the old BR days like that Hall class who took the old sleeper service during the 50s? Or could it be that LSWR M7 which help build the Peel Godred branch line, that engine was around whilst George was on the railway and they have heard he was preserved and is now on a heritage railway. Henry just had to silently agree with Daniel, he would just have to see tonight when he gets to the sheds.

***

Traveling back down the line that evening, Henry couldn't help but think about who it could be. "Maybe it's an engine from Thesang," he pondered to himself, "I know we've had a history with them and it's not uncommon for them to visit us now and again."

He remembered the time in 1981 when a few engines came to the railway that were Thomas, James, and Edward's siblings. Even Peter visited Sodor a little while ago to teach Joseph on how to handle trucks.