Chapter 8

Henry stared long and hard at the engine that sat inside the old shed. He was in disbelief, but not in the way he had ever suspected.

"That's... that's... not me?" he said in a confused manner.

The shape was familiar, with a 4-6-2 wheel arrangement, a straight boiler and small firebox. The engine would've been the original Henry, if it weren't for the face. The facial features were different to Henry's, they were a little younger, and were more... feminine? Henry was in a state of confusion.

"Well... it's something," said his driver, as he walked over to the front of the engine. They were sleeping and hadn't woken up from all the loud sounds Henry and his crew were making. They had pale flesh and look quite weak. That was to be expected, especially when they were all dusty and had much rust on them. Henry sat there, looking at the engine who continued to sleep.

"We need to get her out of here," Henry said firmly, he moved in and buffered up to the engine. "I won't leave her here."

"Who said we wouldn't old boy," said the fireman, as he went to couple the two engines up. He did so and Henry began to pull the engine out, the wheels groaned on the engine as she began to move. Henry felt like the engine was delicate, like it was to fall into tiny pieces if he wasn't careful enough. He moved slowly out and the engine shone under the lamplight nearby, showing more features it had.

"Well... I know where your old tender went," said the fireman as a unique looking tender came out. Faded green paint could be seen dotted around it over the rust and grime. That was Henry's old tender alright with this... engine.

Just then, Henry heard a toot of a horn and saw Bear growl in with Toad behind him as well. However, in front of Bear was a giant, single crane. Henry was astounded.

"Bear," he said, "where did you get that?"

"From the yards," replied Bear amusingly, "where did you think?" He looked over to see the rusted engine that was pulled from the shed and his brow furrowed.

"So is that... the original... you?"

Henry looked back at the engine, who was still unconscious. "...No...," said Henry, "it most certainly isn't."

"There are answers that still need to be given," said Henry's driver, "but we'll deal with them when we take this engine back to Sodor."

"We can place them onto the flatbeds then," smiled Bear, "we'll just use him to lift them on!"

He glanced to the giant crane that grinned at Henry. "Hello there," he greeted warmly, "you must be this Henry."

"Yes," said Henry, "and you are?"

"My name's Rocky," replied the crane, "I'll be happy to help you put this engine on your flatbeds."

Henry looked over to Bear with narrowed eyes. "My fault. We don't have any cranes to use ourselves," said Bear, "but Rocky here has offered his services in lifting this engine onto the flatbeds. In return, he can come back with us."

"I've been withdrawn ages ago," replied Rocky, his grin fading, "I'll be scrapped if I stay here, Sodor is my best chance to get out. No one really wants a railway crane that can't be useful other than on a railway."

Henry sighed. "Fine," he said plainly, "let me position... her into a good spot where you can load her onto the flatbeds. Then we can leave?"

"I'll go and try find the yard foreman on a clear path back to Sodor," said Bear's driver. He did so, Henry's driver went into Rocky's cab and both Bear and Henry went to position themselves in the right position. Henry shuffled the flatbeds to one side of Rocky and then carefully moved the other engine to the other side.

Rocky then carefully moved his crane arm over to the engine below and chains were put around the main engine. She only groan as Rocky heaved as he pulled her up from the ground and began to move her over to one of the flatbeds. Henry was secretly impressed by the crane's strength. It wasn't long until both the engine and the tender were both on the flatbeds and chained up to be stable. Wooden blocks were also placed between the wheels as to avoid rolling as well.

Whilst that was occurring Bear moved Toad around and shunted him behind Rocky, once the huge crane had finished, Bear shunted him and Toad behind the flatbeds. They would've been going home light engine, so no other wagons were needed. Henry reversed in front of the flatbeds and Bear went in front. To avoid suspicion, tarpaulins were placed onto the engine on the flatbeds. Bear's driver soon came back. "We've got an hour to kill until a path is clear for us," he informed, "a goods will be rocking past soon."

"That's at 2:30 in the morning then," sighed Bear, "best we wait here."

It was a few minutes of silence until a growling of another diesel was heard. Henry looked worried. "That's the yard shunter," whispered Rocky, "she'll be suspicious of us as soon as she sees us."

"Leave it to me," replied Bear, he was quickly uncoupled and moved off around the corner.

"Hello!" greeted Bear, the diesel shunter jumped.

She looked over the hydraulic diesel and then sneered disapprovingly. "Why are you here?" she demanded.

"Did you not hear?" smiled Bear, "I had to take over a train due to one of your diesels not being able to take it. I came from Sodor."

"Yes... your non-standard look and out of date appearance says the obvious," said the shunter with a dull tone to her voice.

Bear's smile faded a little, a little hurt but tried to be kind. "I say, why are you up so early?"

"Shunting is too important for resting," replied the shunter, "now... hydraulic, leave me to do my work. Otherwise... I'll call for the workmen to come and cut you up."

She began to move off towards the area where the convoy was hiding. Bear had to think fast and then an idea flew into his radiator. "Please, they'll more likely scrap you than me."

The diesel stopped and then reversed back to Bear, a dark frown on her face with glaring eyes. "What do you mean?"

"On my railway, we get treated so much better, we get so much profit too, the shunters get a nice rub down at the day's end and you just get worked to pieces," Bear said, he didn't like saying this, but if the shunter saw Henry, it was over for them, "we find it amusing how a railway that's much bigger than us and brags about being more modern looks like a railway that would crumble to dust any minute."

The shunter fumed. "Why you—you ugly diesel— why I ought to—"

"No," Bear said, growling his engine loudly, the shunter was startled and went back a bit, "listen here, don't ever insult or threaten me again, do it again, and I'll show you who's more worthy of being scrapped. Now go back to your shed."

The shunter looked at the hydraulic which engine still growled viscously. Then trundled slowly backwards, and away from Bear. Once she disappeared, Bear breathed a sigh of relief. He then reversed back to Henry. "Think I scared her off."

"You think," said Rocky, "that shunter always gets what she wants! You sounded amazing!"

"Sounded more like a grizzly Bear to me," chuckled Toad from the end. Bear chuckled and even Henry smiled.

"Good work Bear," he said.

"Thanks, my time with Spamcan has finally paid off now. Now we wait."

***

It felt like ages until Bear revved his engine and began to move off. Henry had shut off his steam and dampen his fire so not to be spotted. The convoy moved across the points and onto the mainline. Bear then took off with Henry, the engine on the flatbed, Rocky and Toad following behind.

As they travelled down the line, Henry kept looking back, not to see if anyone was following them, but to see the engine hidden in the tarpaulin. His mind was still racing with confusion about what had occurred. Simon had constantly said that an engine that looked like the original shape Henry had existed. But surely Stanier hadn't made another engine?

But no matter what, confusion left and soon came relief as the cavalry travelled across the rolling bridge at Vicarstown.