Chapter 7

There are many areas around the yards, but sometimes areas of the yards are only used to mitigate compacted areas. A small area of these was a small shed where only broken stock was stored. It was unmaintained and slightly derelict and barely used now, even Damien and the harbour engines don't remember this part of the yards too often. A good place for Bear to gather the engines he needed to discuss with other engines.

Murdoch sat uncomfortably in one of the sidings, feeling odd with how the rails felt under his wheels. Donald and Douglas sat close to each other with Toad behind Douglas' tender. And Henry and Bear sat facing the other three engines, inside the small, old shed. "Alright," said Bear, "you all know why I've brought you all here?"

"...No."

"Good," Bear smiled, he then told the other engines about the situation, and once he finished Donald and Douglas looked shocked.

"Yae dinnae sae," cried Douglas.

"Och, sounds like a load of malarkey tae me," scoffed Donald, "how would that even be possible? Cloning another engine? What rubbish!"

"I'm afraid documents prove otherwise Donald," Henry replied, "there's an engine in that shed no matter what, I'm going to try and help him."

Donald looked unsure, he glanced at his twin, but Douglas said nothing. Murdoch, who had stayed quiet for that time, pondering what he was told, looked back up to carefully examine Bear and Henry. "So, we're just to believe this?" he questioned.

Bear sighed. "I wish I could give more proof," the hydraulic diesel said, "but I believe what Henry has to say, after all, why would he say all these things to us? There's no real gain to this."

The Scottish twins looked at each other, then over to the heavy goods engine nearby them. "I believe you Mr Henry! And you too Mr Bear!" called Toad, "I'll help wherever I can!"

"Thank you, Toad," said Henry.

"Ahh fine," said Douglas, "I'll do what I can to help."

"Aye me tae," Donald added.

The others all looked over to Murdoch, who sighed heavily. "Very well," he said, "what do you have in mind Bear?"

Bear smiled confidently. "Well, it goes like this..."

***

The evening made everything look orange and relaxing in the yard, trucks dosed or talked quietly to each other, as Damien shunted trucks around the yard, trying to keep everything in order. He was getting a train ready, a train heading to the mainline which would be taken by a visiting diesel from the other railway. This train would go exactly past Crewe on its journey. The diesel sat in the depot, readying itself for its journey home. Donald sat nearby, he looked closely at the diesel and sighed.

"Like yae said Bear," he said, "you'll be owing me when yae get back."

"Come on Donald," called his driver, "time for us to head out." Donald set out, but then began to buckle and bounce. His crew held onto the sides to keep balance. "Steady on Donald!"

But Donald didn't steady, he kept bouncing, he puffed past the diesel and as he went over the points, his wheels jumped and he landed on the sleepers and ballast. Donald was now off the rails. The diesel fumed angrily as workmen came to inspect the damage on Donald. "Nothing too severe," said a workman, "just needs to be put back on the rails that's all!"

"But the nearest crane is at Knapford Harbour at the moment," said the driver.

"And that will make that diesel late," said an inspector, who had arrived to assess the damage herself. "She won't be taking the train."