chapter iii. murmures du destin

The library was silent since there were no more shuffling book pages or hushed discussions. Ella Musk, a bright young girl, was the last to leave the room after finishing up her Hillichurlian language practice. As the library needed to be organized before closing, the lights began to dim.

[name] crossed the last item off her to-do list after placing the final Sumeru book on one of the wooden shelves and yawning from exhaustion. She then cleaned all the unnecessary paperwork and set it aside for trash. Her heel lightly tapped against the hardwood floors, the sounds making her too drowsy to even continue working.

The assistant librarian paused at the bottom of the stairs and took a blank look at the person sleeping on the main desk, sitting with their head bowed. So that the sleeping individual wouldn't have to wake up to a glaring light, she turned off the lamp that was directly next to them.

Lisa Minci, [name]'s boss, was dozing off. The woman is a witch with a mind for learning who can never have enough sleep. Lisa is clever in that she always knows exactly what to do with whatever is bothering her as the Librarian of the Knights of Favonius.

It must be good to take a nap in peace after napping all afternoon. [name] started picturing herself crashing onto her plush bed when she gets home. It was already after 8 p.m. when she pulled out her pocket watch to check the time.

Her boss was blissfully dozing with her head down when [name] arrived at the library two hours ago. She entered the wooden doors carelessly and received odd looks from the people. The second floor entryway was flanked by boxes of recently arrived books that were waiting to be organized.

She now completed all of her work and started to descend the library's stairs. [name] took a seat at one of the study desks so she could rest her feet, but a faint chuckle from above interrupted her.

She peered up, turning her head with wide eyes to see Lisa yawning away her exhaustion. Lisa spoke out, "My, hey there darling. Judging from your exhausted figure, I presume you finished what I called you in for?" as she leaned on the railings.

The younger woman spoke loudly, trying to mask her tiredness, "I have accomplished all that needs to be done by today, Miss Lisa." Despite having nothing else on her itinerary, she also apologized for being late. [name] omitted the details of her antics at Jean's office and her brief encounter with her friends.

"It is quite unusual for you to be late but I'll let it slide," Lisa hummed. Her senior smiled mischievously as she recalled the news Kaeya had given her. "I heard what you did at Jean's office, you little troublemaker. I should give you a little punishment for not even cleaning up your mess," she teased [name].

Slowly averting her sight from her senior, [name] started to perspire nervously. "I-it was for research between Sucrose and I... There were other knights patrolling near my workspace, that's why I ended up at Jean's area. I didn't expect the acting grandmaster to be actually inside." Simply put, she simply cannot bring herself to tell anyone that she brought it in to keep it as a pet.

The teen's half-lie was caught by Lisa, but she avoided bringing it up. She instead grabbed hold of one of the Sumeru book volumes the assistant had just arranged and descended the stairs. The book displays an all-encompassing picture of a man and woman on its maroon, hardbound cover.

"When I studied Sumeru's akademiya, I used to always spend my break at a library. I frequently visit there to nap in order to avoid the overwhelming task they've been assigning me. I recalled carrying this book with me just in case I get caught. When I attempted to read it, it immediately provided me with insight into how someone would go to great lengths for love." Lisa replied as a flood of nostalgia swept over her.