chapter 2

"We should probably eat dinner"

"Yea. Do you have cup noodles? That sounds really good right now for some reason"

Gon nodded and went into the pantry to grab to cup noodles. They poured in the hot water and seasoning and then waited for the noodles to cook. "This is taking forever" Gon grumbled as he stared intensely at the noodles that weren't cooking any faster than they would have if he wasn't looking. Killua laughed. "What? I'm hungry! I need more energy to tackle the rest of this science crap" he said jokingly.

Beep

The timer had gone off and the noodles were ready. Finally. The noodles were gone in less than two minutes and the boys were full of energy again. Well, more energy than before at least. Despite the sudden boost it was decided (mostly by Gon begging Killua) that they would take a small break and watch an episode some tv show they had started earlier in the year when school hadn't been so busy.

The one episode went by so quickly that they decided to watch one more. But only one as Killua had said. They still needed to study math and who knows how long that was going to take. As the show progressed and a character died, the vibe of the room suddenly became depressing. Tears were rolling down both boy's faces and it was all they could do to keep from sobbing.

Then the episode was over and there they were looking at the screen which went black after Killua turned it off being the more responsible of the two, their faces stained with tears, Gon's head in the crook of Killua's neck, and them both sniffling from the death of their favorite character and the thought of having to work on math now. But alas it was time to start work again...

__________

It was starting to get late. Killua could see the sun setting through Gon's windows even with the curtains closed, the window was still visible since the curtains weren't fully opaque. The light slowly left the room and Gon decided to turn on all the lamps and he lit a few candles to give the studying at midnight but peacefully kind of atmosphere.

Now they were working on math. Every student's (well most anyway) worst nightmare. It wasn't really math though. Or at least that's how it seemed to Gon. He was looking at the review material that their teacher had posted online with the most puzzled expression that Killua had ever seen on the green haired boy's face.

"This isn't calc three... this is straight up torture" Gon grumbled under his breath. Killua chuckled in response. That was probably the truest thing Gon had ever said.

"Let me see" Killua took the laptop as Gon handed it to him and set it on the table in front of him while criss crossing his legs on the floor. It was a low coffee table, and the two boys were sitting in a pile of pillows with random snacks scattered along the floor and what not.

Killua raised an eyebrow in confusion. Honestly, he had no idea what he was looking at. It looked like Egyptian hieroglyphics for all he cared. Gon felt all hope leave him. If Killua couldn't figure it out, chances were that he probably couldn't either. "Welp. I see no other option. I think we need to call Kurapika" Killua got out his phone and started fiddling around in his contact list.

Gon was exited for the first time all afternoon. The two hadn't seen Kurapika since he left to become a quantum physicist. The man was practically Einstein himself. Surely, he could figure out some simple calculus three.

"Hey its Killua"

"Oh, how are you doing? It's been a while"

"College and stuff you know..."

"How are you handling it? Liking the freedom?"

"Gon and I actually got into the same one, so I like it a lot"

"Oh, that's cool. Anyway, wanna know something? I got married last spring!"

"YOU'RE MARRIED??? And you didn't tell me??? Who?"

"There's this guy who I met. He's a doctor. His name is Leorio and he's such a sweetheart"

"Oh, that makes sense. Of course, you married a doctor. Gotta has brains to suite your taste I see" Gon raised his eyebrows in confusion and excitement. Kurapika got married?! "Why didn't you invite us to the wedding? That makes me sad you know."

"It was a pretty private wedding pretty much family only. Also you guys were busy with school and first years of college can be tough."

"Oh ok, well anyway we need help with math."

"I can probably help you with that! Whose we though?"

"Oh, Gon is here too,"

"Figures. Ok I can catch a train tomorrow. We can meet up. When's your deadline?

"Next week is that last week before the break and the exams are two per day starting on Wednesday. Monday and Tuesday are just reviews from all the classes. I wanna say that the math on is on Friday but I have to double check"

"Ok sounds good. See you guys!"

"Thanks." Killua hung up the phone and Gon was bursting with questions. Killua filled him in on the conversation and soon it was well into the night. Outside the window it was pitch black and after checking the weather Gon spoke. "Killua, stay over. It's too cold and dark for you to walk home. I don't want you to get sick. We still have to prepare like crazy for mid-year exams you know." Gon usually didn't say very sensible things, but this was the rare occasion, so Killua nodded.

"Alright but I'll sleep on the couch. Can you get me some clothes. I'm gonna take a shower" Gon nodded and went to his closet while Killua packed up their studying stuff and attempted to tidy up Gon's living room after the disaster they had made in it.

Gon came back a few moments later with a comfortable t shirt and sweatpants. "Um Gon? Underwear please?"

"Oh shoot!" Gon smacked himself in the face but suddenly he felt something trickling down his face.

"Gon your nose is bleeding. Why'd you smack yourself so hard dude?" Killua ran to grab some tissues and an ice pack from the kitchen while Gon pinched his nose. It was so weird. Gon had never had a nosebleed in his life. He hadn't smacked himself that hard but maybe he didn't realize the force of his own hand he reasoned.

"Here" Killua handed Gon the tissues and placed the ice pack on the green haired boy's neck which normally helped the bleeding stop sooner but to this day he had no idea why. "Cold weather also causes nose bleeds so maybe it's that plus the fact that you just hit yourself" Killua reasoned.

Gon nodded slightly and stared off into the distance. Maybe Killua was right. Maybe it was just the cold weather...