chapter 5

It was pretty late the next morning when Gon finally woke up. He sat upright in his bed before going back down, feeling slightly dizzy. He opened his eyes again to see the white ceiling above him, focusing on the little bumps to center his vision. He figured that sitting up so fast had caused his head to spin a bit, and his vision came back into focus within a few seconds of lying back down.

Gon got up more slowly the second time, carefully sitting up and then got onto his feet and walked into the kitchen where Killua was cooking breakfast. It smelled pretty good and the soft sizzle of the bacon on the pan made a relaxing atmosphere around both boys.

Killua put down the spatula he was using to cook some eggs and bacon when he heard Gon's footsteps coming down the hallway. He turned and walked towards the green haired boy and put his hand on the other's forehead, checking for a fever. Gon shivered at the contact, a warm and slight flush falling over his cheeks. Killua clicked his tongue, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. "You're a little warm. How do you feel?"

"Fine. A little weak but fine. Really" Gon followed Killua back into the kitchen where the silver haired one took the bacon and eggs off of the stove and got some plates out of the cupboard to put the food on. He had been to Gon's apartment so many times that by now, he knew where everything was. It was like a second home. He almost felt more at home in Gon's apartment than he did his own. He slid the plate across the small kitchen island to where Gon was already sitting down.

The two ate in silence, Killua staring out of the window watching the squirrels chasing each other up and down and across one of the trees that could be seen from the kitchen window. Finally, Killua looked up. "It's Saturday and I'm not doing anything. Wanna go walk around together? If you're feeling completely fine that is. You should probably rest. Had me really worried last night you know"

"Sorry" Gon chuckled. "Don't worry I'm completely fine. Let's go!" Killua nodded briskly and followed Gon back to his bedroom to make sure that he was fine while he put on a coat to protect himself from the cold after Killua nagged about it saying he would get sick for real. Killua put on his own coat from the day before, grabbing it from the hooks next to the front door. They left walking in sink to explore the town square.

__________

The sun was shining up in the sky, and the giant Christmas tree was looming over everything in the town square. It was covered from top to bottom is festive lights and giant ornaments to complete the Christmas feeling. There were flying reindeer decorations hung on wires across different stores, tinsel and pine reefs hung everywhere, and big red bows on all the posts that held up the roofs of various shops and cafes.

The cold air brushed gently along Killua's cheeks, and he walked next to Gon, enjoying all the decorations that had been set up since the last time they'd come here. Their fingers brushed against each other every now and then as they walked close together, almost longing for the body heat of the other since it was so cold outside. Suddenly, Gon took Killua's hand in his own, shivering at the warmth that was starting to come back to his own cold hand.

Killua looked up at Gon, breaking his stare at the cobblestone ground. He gave a confused but nervous look wondering why Gon was holding hands with him. His heart was fluttering slightly, and his stomach was starting to knot. "Sorry my hand was cold. Do you not want me to?" Gon looked up with the most wholesome and honest eyes. Killua blushed seeing them and gave a slight nod.

"I-It's fine" he mumbled looking away.

After a little while longer of walking, the two silently agreed that it was too cold to stay outside any longer, so when they spotted a bakery not too far away from where they were walking, they shifted their walking course to head over. Once they went inside, the smell of fresh and warm baked goods filled the air around them, making Killua and Gon both feel hungry again, despite having eaten not too long ago.

They explored the different pastries that were on display jumping from section to section and changing their minds again and again about what flavor or kind of pastries they wanted to get. Finally, they settled on a taro bun, and a strawberry bun that was filled with chocolate cream. Gon chose the taro, always the one who wanted to try something new, and Killua had chosen the strawberry chocolate, staying true to his love for anything chocolate.

The boys paid for the baked goods and sat down at one of the small tables in the back of the bakery to enjoy their sweets in the warmth of the inside. Gon had been getting the chills since they went inside, and he took it as a sign that he needed to warm back up. He opened the paper bag that had the bakery logo on it and found the chubby looking purple colored bun inside. It smelled amazing already, almost like a sweet kind of nutty smell.

He breathed in the sweet smell one more time before taking the first bite. Killua watched as the green haired boys widened in delight while he chewed. "Oh my god. It's so good! there's like some cream or paste or something! Mmmmmm." Killua laughed, amused. He then took out his own pastry, taking a bite of the strawberry bun. The middle was filled with chocolate cream inside, as he expected, but it still tasted really good, and a satisfied noise escaped his lips.

Then like normal, they exchanged pastries out of curiosity to see if the others was good. Killua ended up not liking the taro, but Gon also loved the strawberry chocolate. They sat in the bakery at the small wooden table a while longer, enjoying the warmth even after the pastries were gone. Gon wasn't getting chills anymore, and was fully enjoying the warm air inside.

Eventually the pair left to walk a little longer before going to Killua's apartment for a change. Gon had insisted, despite Killua saying it was messy, because he loved going over to Killua's apartment. It was cozy and reminded him of Killua, despite being a bit farther away from all the places the two boys liked to go together. They started the long walk back, comfortably hand in hand, as they walked down the grey sidewalk next to each other.