Duskwood for the Holidays - Part One

DW Discord - DECEMBER PROMPT #snowedinDEC2022

Everyone in the group is over for Christmas/Holiday when you all get snowed in. Everything is going great until...

December had arrived in Duskwood. The tiny lights strung around the town center twinkled in the twilight while the aromas of hot chestnuts floated through the cold air. All around the square, small wooden stalls had been set up and decorated for the holiday, each one selling a variety of holiday items, hand-made crafts, warm beverages, or delectable foods. The sound of Christmas music bounced off the stone walls of the nearby buildings, filling the space with holiday cheer. MC stood wide-eyed trying to take in everything before her.

"It is beautiful, isn't it?" Lilly lightly chuckled at her friend's expressions of unhindered awe. "This is one of my very favorite times of the year here in Duskwood."

"It is ..." MC began, feeling at a loss for words to describe the sights before her. "Magical. I have never seen anything like this before. To think this is the same town square I have visited so many times since moving here, and now to see it looking like this! Just wow!"

"I am so glad you enjoy it!" Lilly could not contain the wide smile covering her face. "But come on, let's go and experience everything our Christkindlmarkt offers."

"Yes, you have to try the stollen the church ladies bake," Cleo chimes in.

"And the mulled wine will warm you up!" Jessy added.

The four friends walked around the square, eating, shopping, and enjoying the holiday spirit while sipping on their mugs of warm spiced wine. The evening went by way too quickly in their minds and before long it was time to say their goodbyes.

"Thank you so much for inviting me to come along, Lilly. It was the perfect way to kick off the holiday season," MC beamed. "It is too bad that Hannah and the guys weren't able to join us."

"Yes, Hannah is particularly disappointed that she came down with her cold yesterday. She really was looking forward to being here with us," Lilly explained.

"As for the guys, it is kind of nice to do something without them." Jessy smiled. "It was a wonderful lady's night out. I had so much fun!"

"You know, we had so much fun at the Friendsgiving gathering, minus Dan's adventurous cooking and the visit from Alan and the fire patrol," MC chuckled at the memory. "We should get together again this month for a holiday party. I would be happy to host again."

"Oh, could we make cookies together?" Cleo asked.

"That is a fantastic idea, Cleo. You know, we could make it an overnight gathering," MC said thoughtfully. "I have plenty of room if people bunk up and share for the night. And then we could do all kinds of holiday activities together."

"Like watch Christmas movies!" Jessy exclaimed.

"Sure! Baking cookies. Watching Movies. Having a nice meal together. That all sounds wonderful," MC mused. "It will be a lovely break from all the season's hustle. And there is no one I would rather have a slumber party with than all of you!" MC's smile filled her face as she thought of the gathering with her friends.

The afternoon of the party had finally arrived. Lilly and Cleo arrived first to set up for baking in the kitchen. They had chosen to make MC's family sugar cookie recipe. The idea of rolling and cutting out fun shapes to be decorated was unanimously agreed upon as a great way to get everyone involved no matter their skills. Lilly joked that there was no excuse for her brother not to join in and MC had to agree. Though they both knew it might take a little bribery or coercion to get the hacker to decorate the treats with them.