chapter twenty-two: for warmth reasons

Deven's pov

We hadn't thought this far ahead. We hadnt thought we would even make it this far. And now we were stranded in the middle of no where, no homes to search for, no families who knew we were still roaming the earth.

And most unfortunately, we had sacrificed our leader.

Nico's pov:

This mission is fighting for the top spot in my list of longest quests.

" I miss home." Will moans into his palms, teeth chattering.

" Us too." Annabeth added from across the flames, cradling her uncomfortably, swollen stomach.

I chuckled at her, " You're the one who decided to take to the ground. Feet are much slower than wings, common knowledge, preggers" ,I tried to lift her spirits my smirking.

" That decision was made because I need to use the restroom ever half hour now," She grumbled the last part under her breath, " I also can't afford to miss anything right now."as she turned her head away from me with a pout.

My smirk fell.

" You do know we have to go back before the baby comes, right?"

Her brows crumpled together, "Nico..."

I threw my hand up, "No. We're barely keeping ourselves alive out here", Will must have decided to keep to himself this time.

Annabeth's eyes widen with desperation, "But..."

"Annabeth, your baby doesn't deserve to spend it's first days, or if we're being realistic, their first months; freezing in the middle of nowhere...", I hesitate before adding one last thing, "Percy would agree with me."

"Percy is a seaweed brain, who doesn't ever know what he's saying!", Tears are streaming down her face now.

"Percy knows more than that and you know it!"

" I... " , Annabeth's face softened as she heaved a sigh, " I know."

" Look, if it comes down to it, I'll stay and search."

Will shot to attention, " Alone?"

I quickly nodd. " It's a much better option than Annabeth going alone."

Will looked like he wanted to argue, but everytime he opened his mouth, no arguments came out.

The same silence plagued Annabeth.

" Good, now we have a plan in case things go south. Now let's pray to the gods it won't come to that, and get some rest." , After helping Annabeth settle in, I curled into my own bedding.

************

Sleep.

The farthest thing from my grasp at the moment.

I can hear the soft breaths coming from Annabeth, and blackjack.

Usually the rhythm will sooth me to sleep, but tonight has been especially cold.

Not even the calming sounds of Annabeth's light snore couldn't help me ignore the biting cold set into my bones.

I had begun to consider cuddling into blackjack with Annabeth when a shuffling sound interrupted my plotting.

It was after a few silent seconds before a hushed voice spoke, " Nico?"

Will's voice.

I hummed in response.

" I, um," his words came choked out, " I'm... Kind of cold."

" Me too."

" Do you, uh... I mean, maybe we could combine our blankets, you know for more warmth, and, like?" I could feel my cheeks burning, " Share?"

Is that sweat? Isn't it a little too cold out to be sweating? Oh gods.

" Er... I guess, sure. For warmth."

" Right! For warmth."

I moved my stuff to where Will was scooting over to make more room. I lay my covers on top of the ones already down. Creating a mound of heat.

The top sheet had little ducklings scattered across the surface, making it look as if they were really swimming in a pond.

As I lay my pillow down, I count every blanket in the pile, before climbing under them.

14.

I try to make out constellations in the sky. I know quite a few: Hercules, Orion, Ursa Major, and Ursa Minor, Zoe...

I need to stop stalling.

I let out a sigh before turning to Will. As my eyes fall onto his face I find he was already looking.

" Im still cold..." My voice didn't stutter or waver once.

" Me too..."

I notice there is this new aura around us now. Almost like we were in a church, one so old no one alive can remember even it's name, nor what was practiced there. Even though it is odd and unknown, it was still peaceful and welcoming.

Without breaking eye contact we both shimmied closer, closing the achingly large space between us. Finally, I am able to reach my hand to rest on his cheek, before we tangled our limbs together like knots.

It felt like I could breath for the first time in a long time. Like I was taking my first breaths.

It felt as though I had found religion, the world finally clicking into place.

It felt right.

A/N

hi boos 😚

I forgot how much I like writing romance.
Also, like what?!?!
We're sooooo close to 1k!
To those of you still reading,
Thank you so much, you all are awesome!

Word count: 819