Chapter 19 - Ode to Mother

The look on April's face told Tama everything she needed to know. It was time to act. She had an idea, and her mind was set on seeing it through to the end. She reached for the locket ready to destroy it, but Tama's hand retreated behind her. April was more than irritated. "What do you think you're doing?"

     Tama looked down, repulsed about what the two of them were scheming. Her regret enveloped her before she could even execute the plan, but April required an answer. "Can you wait just a little longer before we do this? This can't be how it ends. It's not a proper farewell." April silently agreed, scratching her head. It's only fair that they had words about it. That's not a chance that she herself was given at the temple. April hid her hands and waited before executing the plan. Tama sat at the table and set the locket aside. Her hands rested on her knees as she struggled to hide her anxiety. With a smile on her face no human being would dream of betraying, Eve set four plates on the table with the diced cantaloupes April cut and sat down. Her hands rested in her lap as she awaited the return of Leo and Mike. "It's nice having so much company on a cloudy day like this."

     "A bit of a shame that we have to leave soon." April pointed out.

     "You've got somewhere to be. It's only natural! I enjoyed our time together, so I have no complaints."

     Tama gripped her robe tightly. The more time they spent here, the harder it was to make any progress. But she knew better. She must treat this like the investigation. Like when questioning Lydia. Like when running around the city. The situation was urgent, and she would treat it as such. "Eve, what if I told you it was possible to put an end to your streak of bad luck?"

     "You guys would do that for me? Don't tell me, can April cut my bad luck to ribbons, too?"

     The two glanced at each other. Tama nodded. "In a sense, yes, that is something she can do." Eve's eyes widened. She looked at the sword woman with anticipation. "There are objects known as artifacts that house special powers. Mine can summon a character from a story I wrote. April can cut through just about everything, and that speaks nothing of her own capabilities."

     Eve tilted her head in thought. "Then I guess there's something in town or on the hill that needs to be taken care of. Is that it? You guys found it already, didn't you? Is it the urn back at the museum? I bet something there is the cause of it! That's why April found herself work there!"

     Tama shook her head. "An artifact has no power when it's away from its owner. Each one must be in the possession of somebody to function."

     "Oh, I see." Eve seemed to have an idea of where the conversation was going. April's hands rest at her side ready to act. Eve concentrated on Tama's troublesome words. "If the artifact belongs to somebody, then that could only mean somebody's out to give me a hard time, right?"

     Tama was shocked. "What? No, I'm sure not a single person in Pravich holds anything against you! That's ridiculous!"

     "You said it yourself, didn't you? The artifact only takes effect when in possession of someone, so maybe somebody in town is eyeing me. I don't like the idea, but it makes sense to me."

     April let out a deep sigh before she intervened. "The artifact is your locket." Eve gazed at her in shock. Tama couldn't bear to look at either of them. "An artifact is something born from the intense passion in the soul of its owner, be they dead or alive. The way I see it, that bad luck, or whatever power truly lies inside that thing either stems from your soul or your mother's soul inside the locket. No matter how you look at it, there's only one way to deal with it. Make sure you're at peace before I rid you of it."