Chapter 14- New Position

Hey, everybody. Back with the final chapter of this story..

Let's get to it.

Chapter 14- New Position

(July 4, 2026)

"Well done, everyone!"

Jared, Jonathan, and the rest of the Hammers and Rangers all smile a bit as they hear this. In front of them, Admiral Boyle is smiling as he continues to speak, "You all have exceeded our expectations. In the space of less than a month, you have crippled the Dark Force and destroyed their former Imperial allies. The Alliance owes all you a great debt of gratitude."

Admiral Boyle pauses before he says, "I have received word from the Joint Command. The Hammer Squadron and your platoon, Lieutenant Franks, are to be awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation. Individual medals are being worked out right now, but Captain Page, I can confirm that after hearing from President Trump, you are being considered for your third Medal of Honor."

Everyone looks at Jonathan with broad smiles, who just smiles politely in response.

"As your mission is now officially over, Jared Hansen, you are officially cleared to return home. Lieutenant Franks, you are being asked back to Christophsis, where, after reporting to your commander, you may return back to Terra on leave. Captain Page, you and the Squadron will remain here on standby for the next two weeks while we search for any remnants of the Dark Force not destroyed on Bosthirda and Dromund Kaas. After those two weeks, you will be cleared to head home to Terra on leave. Understood?"

"Yes, sir," everyone assembled responds to Boyle.

"Good. Then, you are dismissed," Boyle says. He then straightens up fully and salutes the group, who all return the salute. Once he lowers his salute, Boyle turns to head back to his office.

The group all turns to face each other. "Well, everybody. Even though most of us have only met within the last month, working with all of you has been a true joy and honor. You all made this mission possible. I don't know if I would have had as much success as I did without you. Thank you all."

"It was an absolute pleasure to work with you too, Jared," Jonathan says, reaching out a hand to shake Jared's. Jared happily takes the offered hand, giving Jonathan a big grin.

Jared looks around at everyone. "Well, I am going to head straight home. My wife has been wanting to know when I'll be home, so I don't want to keep her waiting any longer. You all should know how to contact me through the Order. All of you will be welcome in my home any time, whether for a meal or just to visit. Please, feel free to contact me and stop by."

"Copy that, Major," Lieutenant Franks says with a smile.

"Tell your wife hello from all of us, and that we enjoyed working with you," Jennifer Lawrence adds.

"Will do. Until we see each other again," Jared says. He inclines his head respectfully, then turns and hurries out of the room, heading for the airfield, ready to go home.

(July 17, 2026)

Jared smiles brightly as he walks up to the front door of his home in Ranson, West Virginia. Finally, after almost two months of being away from home, he is finally home. And he couldn't be more ready to see his wife and daughter again.

Jared pauses, takes a deep breath, then turns to the doorknob and opens the door. As he walks in, he hears Lacy call out, "Oh, Rachel, is that you?" in reference to their next door neighbor who often comes over with her baby for mommy days with Lacy.

Jared grins as he stays quiet and makes his way into the kitchen, where Lacy is occupied kneading bread dough while Brooklyn is sitting in her bouncy seat. As Jared enters, Lacy turns to look at him.