Chapter 8

I think I fell asleep on the way home. I wasn't used to doing so much in one day. I yawned as East undid my buckle and grabbed my backpack.

"Cmon Gracie. Everyone else wants to see you."

I climb out of the car and walk into the house. Milo is in the living room doing something on his computer.

"How was school?"

"Good," I say with a yawn.

"Oh is someone tired?" he teases.

"No."

He stands up and scoops me into his arms. I guess I am tired cause I just let him.

"I missed you."

"Me too."

It's true. I missed them all during the day.

"When your feeling more awake I'll take you out for food okay?"

"Okay. I'd like that."

He sets me down. I didn't really want him to do that. I look at him confused.

"Mad dog wants to see you. He's been grumpy all day," he says.

I giggle at the nickname. A smile makes its way onto my face. I wander down the hallway before knocking on the door at the end. I wait until he tells me to come in and then I slip in the door. I walk over to Mad who was sitting in his big fancy chair. He brings me into his lap and I just hug him.

"How was school baby?"

"Good. I made two friends. They're so nice."

"I'm glad. Class wasn't too bad right?"

"Nope! My teacher is super nice! And she doesn't think I'm stupid!" I say happily.

"That's because you aren't stupid. It's good to know you have a good teacher too."

I nod. I let myself doze off in his arms. I really was tired.

-

The rest of my week was pretty standard.

Wake up, go to school, come back, nap, eat, go to bed, repeat.

I actually liked school. Ms. Wolf helped me learn and she never got mad when I started crying because I feel dumb. Katie and Lillie are the best as well. They sit with me all the the time and help me study. In general, I'm pretty happy.

On Saturday morning Maddox calls me down to his office. I couldn't really think of anything I'd done so it probably wasn't me getting in trouble. I sit down in the big chair across from him. I still feel tiny but it's a little less scary.

"I have a feeling you don't like surprises," he states.

I swear he knows everything.

"You can't tell anyone but we're having guests over today. You haven't met them but trust me you'll love them. Especially Luci."

There's that name again. Now I finally get to meet this Luci.

"Okay. Why is this a secret?"

"I didn't know if it was going to work out and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up. Besides, some things are better as surprises," he says.

I don't believe that last part for a second but I decide to play along. Maybe everyone else likes surprises more than I do.

"I've got Brandon and Easton out of the house. Angie and Luci will get here while they're out and then surprise them when they get home," he explains.

"This is awesome and all, but who are these people? And why do East and Brand have to stay out?"

"Right. Angelo is my best friend. We've been friends since birth. He's practically part of the family. And Luci is his little sister. He's twenty seven and she's twenty. Anyways Ang and Easton started dating about a year ago. Brand has been in love with Luci for years but she just said yes to him about two years ago. The thing is Ang and Luci live in Italy and have to stay there for work most of the time. That's why it's a surprise."