Chapter 29

Gracie's POV
-
I clutch onto Sy's hand as we enter the school. Maddox had fought for days but they said if I miss anymore I would have to go to court. I don't think we needed that on our plate. I didn't know exactly what was going on but I wasn't stupid. Brandon, Easton, and Maddox were never home at the same time anymore. There were lots of men with guns in and around our house now. Something was going on.

I hadn't been to school in quite some time so it makes sense that I had to go. It didn't make it any better though. Recently i'd been more on edge. It just feels like something is wrong.

Sylas was glaring at everyone who even looked at us in the hallway. I kind of understood what Katie and Lillie meant when they said Sylas was scary. He was totally different at school than he was at home.

He drops me off at my first class and I slowly make my way to my desk. Katie wasn't there yet so I just sat there. Other kids started to come in and my teacher began to pass out some papers. I frowned at Katie's empty desk. I guess she was sick.

I got started on my work. My teacher would check on me every once in a while, but I was doing okay. I have a pretty good memory so I wasn't too far behind. Someone behind me taps my back. I turn around and see a girl with brown skin and black braided hair that i've never met before. She must have joined while I was gone.

"Do you have an extra pencil?" she asks.

I nod and grab a pencil from my backpack. She smiles and thanks me before going back to her work. About ten minutes pass before she taps me again.

"I'm Lexi."

I smile at her, "I'm Grace."

I turn back around and keep trying to focus on my work. We all work for about twenty more minutes before we finish. Our teacher gives us the last ten minutes of class to sit and talk since she didn't have any more work. I turn around to face Lexi again. She's putting her things into her bag so I just sit there awkwardly. I wish I had better social skills.

"Y'know I moved here two weeks ago and I haven't seen you," she says as she sits up.

She looks at me waiting for me to say something but I didn't have anything to say. Maddox didn't tell me what to say if anyone asks so I search my brain for a believable lie.

"I've been sick," I say.

"Damn, that's a long time to be sick."

I nod.

"Do you want to sit with me at lunch? My friend Katie isn't here but I think Lillie is," I offer.

"The Katie that's usually in this class?" she asks.

"Yeah, I think she caught whatever I had," I lie.

She agrees to sit with me at lunch but doesn't say anything else, which was kind of strange. I turn around and doodle on my hand for the last few minutes of class.

When the bell rings I quickly grab my things and head for the door. I'm supposed to wait for Sylas, but he's not here yet and I didn't want to be late for my next class. I keep my head down in the hallway. I make my way through the halls but I trip over someone's foot and fall. My face turns red with embarrassment and I try to quickly collect my things. I hear voices laughing at me.

"Look Emma, it's the freak!"

"I heard she can't even read."

"She must be such a fucking disappointment."

They start addressing me as I turn around to face them.

"Are you sure you're even related to Sylas? Or did you just lie like the attention whore you are?"