Prologue

I walk through the streets of Hollow Pine, on my way to the park. No one wanted to come here because of the rumors. The rumors spread that this place was a sort of haven to spirits, angels, demons, even fair folk. Sometimes, I think for a moment that a faery is watching me, but I realize it's just a bee or some other insect.

Looking around, it is no wonder they think so, with all the fog and creepy, not-so-modern buildings in place. I cross a street, not even five minutes from the park, when every suddenly goes black. Thinking to the few seconds before this, I realize something. I was hit with a truck. The fog was so thick that neither of us saw the other.

Am I dead? What will happen now? How will my friend react to seeing me hit? All these thoughts go through my head, even though nothing is processed passed the question.

I open my eyes suddenly. I am on the street again, the fog has increased again. What is this? I ask myself. I look around and see my friend. His dark hair fell in his eye a little, and the brown I was so accustomed to was different. I waved to him, and made my way other to where he stood. He looked up to me, a pained look in his eyes.

"That was... painful... to watch." He says, smiling finally. He has a different air about himself than I remember. It is darker, and more... menacing.
I stare at his face, studying his features. I realize now why his eyes seemed off, they were glowing a bright crimson. "Michael, what happened?" I ask. Michael looks back at me, a grin crossing his features.
I saw short fangs sticking out from the rest of his teeth, "you died." He says simply.
"Then why are you here?" I ask.
"I am your guide." He says.
"If you are my guide, then how come you look like my friend? How are you here?"
He was walking circles around me, but stops, glancing my way. "I don't look like him. I am him. I am the friend that wished to speak with you. I was going to tell you that you were to die soon, but instead, you ended up dying in the process. Ironic, really."
I arched a brow, "that still doesn't answer my other question." I say, crossing my arms.
"I am a demon. I was assigned to watch over you, protect you even, because your soul allows you to become a rare species of spirit." He says, continuing to walk around me.
"I rare... species?" I wonder aloud. I knew that there were your general variety of ghosts, ghouls, and the powerful angels and demons, but what other species were there?
"That is right. You are soon going to turn into this type of species. You will soon turn into a Banshee." He stops again, not looking at me this time. "A Banshee is known for their screams and cries. They generally are created after losing a loved one. You can use this ability to your advantage against those that are too stupid to try and take your power for their own." He takes a breath. "I am here, to help you until you are able to be on your own. You will have no memory of your life with the living, and no memory of yourself either. Just a fair warning before you are thrown out into this new life." He laughs a bit, "or should I say, death?
"Anyway," He said, calming down. He swept his arms out dramatically and many figures you mildly recognised appeared around you. "Welcome to the Afterlife."
A wild wind whips around me, throwing my ebony hair up and making it to where I have to bring my arms up to shield my face. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my hair, still blowing around me, fading in color from black to white. The pale skin of my exposed arms goes paler and, as the wind dies down, I notice my outfit has changed as well. I'm now in a short sleeveless dress with a puffed out skirt. Removed sleeves cover the lower parts of my arms and ivory knee-high boots climb up my legs.
I only have a second to stand in awe of my change before I am whisked away by another blast of wind. And I was gone. Everything was gone, and I felt my life flash before my eyes.