Chapter 2

It had been a few weeks since Light picked up his newly beloved notebook. He had met the shinigami, Ryuk, and even had a confrontation with the world-famous "L". To say he had been cooped up in his room for the past few weeks was an understatement.

Sakura and Atsuki were growing worried for their brother. It was unlike him to spend so much time in his room, and he barely said anything to them at home anymore. It was troublesome.

"Light, it's time for dinner," Atsuki knocked on his door, turning the handle, only to find it locked. She sighed, before walking downstairs with Sakura.

Light came downstairs a few minutes later. The aura around him was what Atsuki noticed first. It had changed from the loving and playful boy they knew into something much more sinister. She watched him carefully, but she could sense something present. Something she perhaps couldn't see. It felt much like death, so much so that it almost gave her flashbacks to the War.

"Hey, everyone." Light sat down in between Sakura and Atsuki, sakura on his left and Atsuki on his right. Much like how they used to.

"Hey, Light! How's your schoolwork going?" Sayu asked, her eyes staring up at her elder brother.

He smiled. Atsuki could tell it was fake. "It's going well, Sakura, Atsuki, and I are at the top of all our classes."

"That's good, I'm not even surprised that they caught up to you. You're the one who taught them."

Atsuki let out a little chuckle, before serving herself a bit of chicken. She began to eat silently, glancing at Sakura. Sakura was entertaining Light and Sayu, much like she often did. She had always wanted siblings.

She doesn't sense it? I don't understand. Kurama, do you feel it too?

Yes, I do. It feels like death over Light's shoulder.

As she spoke with her tailed beast, Atsuki didn't realize she stopped eating. Light placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

She blinked, glancing up at him before cracking a soft smile. She nodded, not trusting her voice.

Light reluctantly let go of her shoulder, going to eat his food.

When they all had finished, Atsuki was the first person to excuse herself from the table. She cleared her dishes and proceeded to walk upstairs to her shared room with Sakura. When she made it into the room, she sighed, closing the door behind her.

"I don't know why, but he feels... off. Like something changed."

Atsuki hadn't been keeping up with the news, so she didn't know about this mysterious Kira. She also didn't know about the world-famous L. So she was stuck with her old-fashioned way of figuring things out: snooping.

The redheaded woman leaned against her door with a sigh as she slid to the ground.

"I just don't understand."

~~~•~~~

A few more weeks passed, and Light discovered that there were cameras in his room. He had already made the false bottom of the drawer, but he was still someone worried. The cameras weren't just in his room. They were everywhere, including the bathrooms. He was furious; Atsuki and Sakura were his little sisters. Hell, he even cared about Sayu too. He wanted to tell them, but he couldn't. And that's what pissed him off.

~~~•~~~