~ 3. Is it pointless? ~

A heart that needs to be healed.

Niko's POV:

Love? Never. Everything is just a time-waster. I know that before I entered these Borderlands, my dad, brother, and I were arguing over a matter related to the idea of love, but now that I'm engaged in this game of life and death, it's all pointless. You never know when they might pass away or get to the point where it would be useless for them to keep on.

Today is a brand-new day, and I have no recollection of having met Kuina last night after her game. Along with Hatter and the other executives, I make my way to the meeting.

Several familiar faces and one new one welcome me as I approach the meeting room.

"Greetings, Niko. I've got some positive news for you, my dear." Hatter beams broadly. "Sit down." He indicates the vacant seat next to Chishiya. "Since I was aware that you two had been becoming close recently, I made sure there was a vacant seat next to Chishiya."

"What's the good news, then?" I ponder.

"Ah yes. What do you think about joining the executives? I've talked it over with everyone, and we all agree that you would be the ideal addition to our group." Hatter justifies his choice of me as I sit there surprised.

"I would love too." I smile.

"I'm glad to hear that. Additionally, The Beach has added two new members, one of whom will serve as one of our executives." Hatter makes a handclap motion. "Please don't be afraid. We're not biters." Hatter pauses and casts a quick glance at the man, whose name I didn't recognise and who has numerous tattoos on his face. "Accept some."

I was a little taken aback to realise that the boy with the messy hair from earlier was the one joining us. He recognises Chishiya and me from the tag game.

He utters, in a whisper, "You two." Chishiya waves at him briefly while I smirk at him.

"Well then, introduce yourself." Hatter encourages him.

"I'm Arisu. Ryohei Arisu. "I made it through a 7 of hearts game and have since made it through others."He bows after introducing himself.

"Join the club." I say in a mumble and sigh. Chishiya overhears this and gives me a smirk.

"Alright then meeting is adjourned." Hatter announces as everyone gets up to leave.

Before Chishiya leaves, I grab his hand. "We've got a game to play; please try and stay alive." He turns to me, almost surprised that I would even say something like that, and just nods.

"I want to be in the same game as you, but at the same time I don't, in case it's a hearts game." Chishiya blurts out

"That's fair enough, but I could handle it." I smile widely at him.

We were given our papers with a number on them to indicate the group we were in for the game.

"I got number 6; what about you?" I ask Chishiya, sort of wishing we had the same number.

"6."

I can't read his expression. I just hugged him without hesitation. "Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favour." I say while hugging him with my eyes shut tightly.

"Never took you as a Hunger Games fan." He lightly hugs me back.

"Similarly," I said as I let go of him."Right then, shall we get going?" I ask, holding out my hand for him to take.

"This has become such a normal habit for us two." He holds my hand and smirks. I then pull him along with me to go to the car that takes us to the game venue.