02 The secret

I decided to act against Dr. Crane's words. It wasn't like i didn't care about his recommend but a heart decease occurred to my mother who is currently hospitalized. The need to inform my brother about my worries pinioned me to stand in front of Arkhams gates once again. This place creeps me out and gave me a certain amiss feeling but i had to shrug it off for my brother. I thought about how to bring up the condition of our mother without blurting it out  too exasperate.

I heard muffled sounds in the halls as usual but it semblances as if the place feels even more unsettling than the last visits. I went up to the reception where i was greeted with a smile.

" Good evening miss L/N. What causes you to be here today? I don't see an Appointment for you in the register"

"Yes i know but i really have to speak to my brother. An unexpected incident happened and i would like to keep him updated."
The assistant knew me pretty well since im taking every chance to visit my brother when possible. She was able to squeeze me in for a visit , apparently not informed of Doctor Crane's advice to stay away for a while. A Guard came to take me to my brothers cell and the muffled sounds became louder by every step walking through the facility. The inmates are so upset and anxious all of a sudden. An uneasy feeling dawned onto me. 

"Scarecrow"

"Scarecrow"

"scarecrow"

The closer i got to his room the louder he muffled the same word over and over, it were the words of my brother. It hurt to see him suffer like that. I could not figure why he said it. He was never scared of scarecrows and also never had issues seeing them.

"Excuse me but when did he start to act that way?"

"Don't know, ask the Director"

"Can you please let him know i want to talk to him right now?"

The guard nodded, made a gesture to show that i should follow him and then walked off. I knew the rule to always have a guard while being in the facility so i caught up to him as best as i could. While following him through the halls something caught my attention. I had a trenchant feeling someone was starring and when i looked into the direction of the cause, a guy startled me by rattling on the grid of his cell. The inmate seemed excited when i looked into his maniac eyes.

"Here. Come here"

It almost sounds like hes calling a dog but on the other hand i was interested what he wanted. I took a step closer to his cell,the guard continuously walking unbothered.

"Its all a lie! Doctor Crane!Evil. Scarecrow" The man seemed so baleful and confused.

"Please calm down. no one is going to hurt you. you're here to get help"

"Bullshit! Crane is evil. Scarecrow"

I backed off after his lash out. He became so aggressive however he was so sure about his words. I looked into the hall again and the worker who guided me was gone. Fuck i lost him. I walked into the direction he went off to. After following for a few minutes a man crossed my way. I looked into his cold blue eyes which had a pensive look on them. In addition of meeting them my heart made a jump, it was Dr. Cane

"Oh hello miss L/N. What a surprise to see you here. I thought i gave you the advice to not visit. You were asking for me did you? Unfortunately i am quite busy right now but you can make an Appointment at the reception" 

With these few judgmental words he shrugged me off and walked to the direction i just came from. The same charming eyes i looked into just a few days ago now utters a dismissive,apathetic feeling. It was so contradictory to his friendly smile from last time i spoke to him. It was so different then before after the new suspicion of his authority just like a veil was repealed. The words of this insane inmate made me scared and curious. He also muffled the word scarecrow. It was definitely not by coincidence but maybe a trauma was the cause? What did they do with the inmates here in Arkham? I had to make a choice. I should've went home and just make an appointment but nevertheless it was not how i decided. I made sure to be quite while following Dr. Crane. He was dressed in a beige brown suit with black gloves and in his hand a briefcase in silver. He looks so professional and an ubiquitous feeling of thrill rushed through my veins.  I crept onward all because of a hunch. It was wrong to snoop around but i had to.

Doctor Crane went into a room, greeting his patient and closed the door behind him. The steel door has a plastic window which i decided to peak through. Fortunately Doctor Crane had his back turned to it. My curiosity grew when he placed his briefcase on the table, opening it and taking out a piece of cloth. It was a kind of sack texture with stitches. His sleeve escaped a spray into the direction of the patient also in addition Crane placed the mask on his face which pinioned the patient to become all frantic, spurring him to blust out. I was shocked about what i just witnessed but now it dawned on me. The inmate yelled the same words as the others... as my brother.

 Scarecrow.

Did the new Director do this to my brother? Was all his kind occurrence feigned ? Did this man really harbor any evil? I should stay away from the Asylum to not have the odds of getting involved. Despite that advice i am now here, all because i was too tempted to mind my business. 

My heart raced after seeing this and baffled i took a step back from the door. I wanted to get away, to retract and to just escape from the thoughts and despair about what must have happened to my own brother. Unpremeditated i knocked over a bucket and a mop behind me, fuck. i panicked as the door opened and the same handsome face appeared. The cold pair of devoted but devious eyes glanced into mine. Before i could react or shirk in any way i felt his strong Hand grabbing my arm brusquely. The unexpected gruff touch brought goosebumps all over my body.

"I thought i have told you to make an Appointment"

He pushed me with him through the hall, having a tight grip around my arm as if he were a mother pulling her child with her after it behaved naughty. I knew screaming wouldn't help me much since everyone would think its just another inmate leashing out. The veiled mirage of his dissolved now that i knew what he did. He pushed me into his office and locked it behind him. What will he do to me?