10

Lyra decided to ride with the rest of the school on the bus. It wasn't a long journey but it felt like forever. She had a little "pick-me girl" moment as she stared out the window contemplating life. She quickly took her head off the window as a girl sat down next to her. The girl had dark glasses on and had long, straight, black hair. Kind of like Wednesday's.

"You're Lyra right?", the girl asked.

Lyra sat up and straightened her posture. "Yeah? Who are you?"

The girl took off her glasses. Her eyes were dark. "My name is Yoko. I'm good friends with Enid. That she-devil of a roommate that she has, Wednesday, isn't trying to be rude to you. I promise. Enid told me all about how she just grew up this way."

Lyra sat there for a second. Why is Wednesday only so cruel to her? She wanted to get to know Wednesday but her distant personality is a difficult one to get along with.

"You should talk to her. I know she would like it if you did. You're welcome to join the Fangs and I on some of the rides if you want. Just try first. For our sake, and Wednesday's.", Yoko said.

"I'll definitely think about it. Thanks, Yoko.", Lyra said with a smile.

Yoko left the chair and went back to sit with her friends. Lyra sat there and thought about Wednesday. If Wednesday was so interested in Lyra, why hasn't she done anything about it?

✨ * + * ✨

All of Nevermore got out of the bus and ran to the carnival. Lyra took her sweet time and went to play one of the carnival games. She saw Wednesday playing one with darts and went over to go talk to her.

"So I talked to Yoko on the bus.", Lyra said.

The dark-haired girl didn't say anything. She kept playing with the darts.

"I have to get out of here. I can't stay here anymore. Tyler Galpin is getting me out. Do you want to come with us?". she asked Lyra.

Lyra turned to her with a confused gaze. "I'm sorry what? Why are you leaving? You just got here?"

Wednesday saw Principal Weems sitting on a bench staring at her. Lyra could tell that Weems was trying to keep tabs on her.

"This place is going to turn me into a carbon copy of my mother. I can't stand that.", Wednesday explained.

Lyra sighed. "Alright. If it's for the best then I'll let you go. What can I do to help?"

Lyra saw the corner of Wednesday's mouth turn upwards. Was that a smile she saw?

"Go give this to Weems. It'll distract her. Maybe talk about how you're 'liking' Nevermore. Keep her occupied while Tyler drives me to the station.", Wednesday explained.

Lyra smiled and took the panda bear that Wednesday won. She walked over to Weems and sat down in front of her. The tall woman put her burger down and regained her posture.

"Hello, Lyra! How are you enjoying the Harvest Festival so far?", Weems asked.

"I'm enjoying it so far. Oh, Wednesday wanted me to give this to you.", Lyra said.

The woman smiled. "Oh why that's very kind of her! Please tell her I said thank you!"

Weems turned to look for Wednesday but she didn't see her. "This was a diversion for her to leave, wasn't it?"

"Yeah but, like, she didn't like it here and if it makes sense for her to leave then she should leave."

Weems sighed. "You can't justify her actions, Lyra. Wednesday is an interesting girl who can take matters that shouldn't be taken into her own hands. She's a young girl just like you but you need to hold her accountable. Lord knows I can't."

Lyra chuckled. Wednesday definitely doesn't have any strings attached when it comes to her ability to defy the rules. That's what made Lyra so intrigued towards Wednesday.

"You're right. It's just...she probably won't even listen to me. She's so...she has her own style. No one can compare to her.", Lyra said.

"Well then go after her. Make sure she isn't causing too much trouble."

"I'll do my best. Thanks for the help, Principal Weems."

"Of course!"

Lyra smiled and got up to go chase after Wednesday. Hopefully she wasn't causing too much trouble.